Thread: The Dawn of Everything

The Dawn of Everything

Dawn of Everything by Graeber and Wengrow sounds like an amazing book challenging our illusions of human history. This Atlantic review is inspiring me to order the book as my library does not have it. I could read and donate my copy as the library is struggling with a reduced budget.

Has anyone read this book?

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...manity/620177/
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Wow, this is right up my alley in terms of what I like reading: the key question I love exploring these days is the question in the article: "Is civilization worth it?" I think it's an important question when posed in general, and also a relevant consideration in the framework of environmental issues.

This book probably pairs well with the book bae mentioned in another thread, Stone Age Economics by Marshall Sahlins.

It also pairs pretty well with a book I'm reading-- NOT In His Image by John Lamb Lash which unseats assumptions that we hold dear about the history of Christianity and politics of Greek/Roman civilization--how they intersected to destroy the earlier Gnostics/Pagan cultures and the indigenous cultures of early Europe, which worked quite well and didn't need replacing.

I'll definitely put The Dawn of Everything on my reading list after I get through Not In His Image. Thanks for the article--really interesting.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Now that I am carving out more time to read, I appreciate these suggestions! All three are on my list. Thanks.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

I have it on my wish list. Amazon is saying it won't be released until the 9th. I really liked "Sapiens" which might be somewhat similar, or dissimilar enough to stimulate some thought.

Sounds very interesting. I like to think all the commotion going on now might be the beginning of societal changes.

Thread Information