Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Big bird has gotten all woke or something

Big bird has gotten all woke or something

Yesterday on twitter Ted Cruz raged against him for encouraging children to get vaccinated. The horror! Perhaps someone would like to explain how this fits in with the 'republicans are in favor of vaccination' idea that some claim, with a straight face, to be reality.

I am “in favor of vaccination” against Covid for those who choose it and its risks. I usually vote the Republican ticket.

Are you saying I’m not entitled to do that next time around?

I'm simply saying that when ted cruz rages against big bird for encouraging vaccination it makes the whole republican claim that they support vaccination sound like the damn lie that any non-comatose person can see it to be.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    I'm simply saying that when ted cruz rages against big bird for encouraging vaccination it makes the whole republican claim that they support vaccination sound like the damn lie that any non-comatose person can see it to be.
    oh! I did not know Ted Cruze was my appointed thought leader. I guess I had better get with the program. Or, do ya think they will kick me out?

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    oh! I did not know Ted Cruze was my appointed thought leader. I guess I had better get with the program. Or, do ya think they will kick me out?
    If this were the only time a republican politician has been publicly 'don't you dare encourage the vax' you might have a point.

Ted Cruz has himself been vaccinated. You can agree that people should be vaccinated without believing that people must be vaccinated, with the force of government prodding and coercion backing up your belief. I will grant you that there are less obnoxious spokesmen for that view than Senator Cruz.

Since when do conservatives see employment mandates as coercion (because there is no other mandate). Generally that type of stuff is never objected to, you need to pee in a cup for employment, pee in that cup, or take a blood drug test (though most jobs I have had don't require them, I've done this), you need to be psyched tested for this job interview, take that psychological test - there is probably no science behind that at all. They need to check your criminal record for a job, it gets checked, in most states they can check the credit record as well (maybe not here, CA employment rules are generally pro-employee). And can't you just opt for weekly covid tests rather than a vaccine anyway? And many jobs have always always required vaccine, you want to work in the medical field, better show you are vaxxed for a bunch of stuff.

Now here's a sad story: I had a old coworker trying to get a job for a medical corporation, needed A BUNCH of vaccines first, didn't grow up in the U.S. or a first world country, so didn't have a lot of the vaccines we do early in life, was unemployed and so was uninsured and COULDN'T AFFORD the costs of vaccination (as unlike the covid vax, most vaccines aren't free, they can be fairly costly). Talk about getting kicked when you are down. But this story has a happy ending: they got a different job that didn't require this big expense up front.
    Trees don't grow on money

I've had to get a smallpox vaccination, a TB test, a psychological test (for a part-time job at Sears, which earned me a spot in the jewelry department), a drug test (which I registered a protest to), a couple of what seemed to be IQ tests, a home visit (back in the day). Standard operating procedure, it seems to me.

I'm with Big Bird, personally.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    I know you're always looking for a reason to hate republicans, and that's ok, it probably makes you happy. That said, I prefer context over blind hatred. I'm personally on the fence about vaccinations for young children, their covid mortality rate is extremely low and the long term effects on vaccinated children is unknown. I'm really glad I'm not in a position to have to make that decision.

I'm not familiar with whatever tweet you saw but I can understand how a parent can and should be concerned about any type of media push for vaccinating children. This shouldn't be a political issue and I wish it wasn't.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I know you're always looking for a reason to hate republicans, ...
    Are there any Republicans left?

Thread Information