Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Guardians and medication

Thank you, Steve. That is a great principle to follow-- do whatever is the loving thing to do.

For now, my brother convinced the other guardian to give her the medicine. And he called to tell me, which was huge progress in our relationship.

Great news about the medication.

This is tangential to this thread, but I will mention it because it’s at the top of my head:

Our close friends are in court tomorrow to “get custody “of their daughter’s SO who is lying in a coma. The man in a coma was not married to their daughter. Their daughter wants to run his health care decisions and wants “custody.”

The man’s parents are not putting up with this. They have decided which long-term care facility he’s gone to and they are not allowing the daughter to see him.

It is a SH*TSHOW.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    This is tangential to this thread, but I will mention it because it’s at the top of my head:

Our close friends are in court tomorrow to “get custody “of their daughter’s SO who is lying in a coma. The man in a coma was not married to their daughter. Their daughter wants to run his health care decisions and wants “custody.”

The man’s parents are not putting up with this. They have decided which long-term care facility he’s gone to and they are not allowing the daughter to see him.

It is a SH*TSHOW.
    I think it fits in well with the thread. Are the friends seeking guardianship, or is their daughter seeking guardianship?

If they are not married, I doubt they will get anywhere, but maybe it depends on if they live together, own property together??

Iris L. I have heard and known of several stories like this. In one case the young man had AIDS in the very first years. His parents refused the SO any contact and the young man died. Made the news. The other case is a SO who was kicked out of the house by the parents of his partner. It has taken legal action to resolve the custody of several children we knew when one of the unmarried parents died or got sick.

I do not think they will get far as Tybee says.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    I think it fits in well with the thread. Are the friends seeking guardianship, or is their daughter seeking guardianship?

If they are not married, I doubt they will get anywhere, but maybe it depends on if they live together, own property together??
    I just got clarification: The daughter is seeking “conservatorship” (like Britney Spears) for health and finances.

They live together and own a house together with legal documentarian as to her ownership interests.

Our friends are involved because they are paying her attorney and also are acting as witnesses.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I just got clarification: The daughter is seeking “conservatorship” (like Britney Spears) for health and finances.

They live together and own a house together with legal documentarian as to her ownership interests.

Our friends are involved because they are paying her attorney and also are acting as witnesses.
    I think in Maine, as domestic partner, she would have precedence over the parents. In Maine, you get a guardian and a conservator--guardian is of the person, and conservator is of the money. A guardian can be both guardian and conservator. Don't know about your state.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    Interesting. Thank you.

That’s a mess IL. The couple should have done paperwork for this type of situation since they weren’t married.

Thread Information