Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: 40 Hours Decluttering Using Flylady's Timer Method - Nov. 11, 2021 - Feb. 22, 2022

Great job EJ!!

Thanks, Teacher Terry!

Only one hour today - but it was tackling a big messy pile of old pots and various pieces of gardening equipment that had accumulated in our backyard and about which I've been feeling embarassed for months (years?). I didn't get through all of it (maybe 60% of it?), but I made a big dent and carted a lot of stuff to the trash bin.

New total: 36.

I did 2 more hours today going through an old stash of toys of my daughter's. What was hard about this was that a lot of the stuff couldn't be donated - old games with missing pieces, stuff like that. I just had to put some of it in the trash which I felt really guilty about. I realize this is one of the reasons I hold onto stuff. I just hate sending plastic to the landfill. But I just had to say to myself that I donate a lot of stuff to Goodwill and pass on as much as possible to people in my Buy Nothing Group. And in the end, it was only about half a Hefty bag going into the trash. I just had to keep saying, "Forgive yourself," a mantra I have to use a lot in this process - not just because of what I send to the trash, but because some of the items I end up donating still have tags on them because i never used or wore them, and for other reasons. But I think also facing this guilt is really what makes all this decluttering a pretty important spiritual process for me. I'm facing my regrets and taking responsibility for my past, and that is definitely empowering and meaningful.

And it's definitely the case that all this decluttering makes me SO MUCH more conscious about what I buy or otherwise accumulate.

New total: 38.

I think donating items with tags really cements the fact that we all buy too much stuff. Now before I buy something I ask myself if it’s going to be donated in a few years. It actually stops me from buying many things. I don’t feel bad about throwing stuff away that’s missing pieces. If after trying to find the pieces I throw it away knowing I did my best. I went through that when my kids were little. I have always preferred giving items away although we didn’t have thrift stores so I found homes for items. It was a lot more work back than.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I think donating items with tags really cements the fact that we all buy too much stuff. Now before I buy something I ask myself if it’s going to be donated in a few years. It actually stops me from buying many things. I don’t feel bad about throwing stuff away that’s missing pieces. If after trying to find the pieces I throw it away knowing I did my best. I went through that when my kids were little. I have always preferred giving items away although we didn’t have thrift stores so I found homes for items. It was a lot more work back than.
    Yes, my Buy Nothing Group has made giving away things so much easier.

Doing all this decluttering has also made me see the relationship between my clutter issues and my money issues - they are so intertwined.

And decluttering has helped me buy less and get much better about returning items.

I was watching an episode of Tidying Up with Marie Kondo the other night, and she was helping a retired couple declutter. They ended up throwing out or donating about 150 bags of stuff, much of it with tags still on. I just kept thinking (as I'm sure they did) how many thousands of dollars they'd spent on things that were never used or else on re-buying things they couldn't find. This week, I've discovered we have more blankets and comforters than we need. I might not have bought some of them if I'd remembered where I stored the others!

Ejchase, you’re doing Great! Congratulations, even on tackling the pile of garden stuff.
    I did a pile of garden stuff a few months ago, and I was shocked at how long it took and how much I’d accumulated in 5 years here.

I’m wondering if you might enjoy and find use in some of Dana K White’s YouTubes, or podcasts. I listen to them sometimes while I’m working on a project. I especially like her No Mess Decluttering Method, and One Hour Better. She has a very practical approach, and I love her sense of humor.

Thanks, mschrisgo2, I'll check out those podcasts! It sounds like they will be motivating.

I actually did another hour in the backyard today, organizing my collection of flower pots and setting aside some to give away. I also took a bunch of stuff to the trash and a pile of clippings to the compost bin.

New total: 39.

My son and new DIL are renting a house and moving this weekend - which means son will be taking his fishing and golfing gear!!! Yay - more room in my garage.
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

Congratulations, beckyliz, on getting the fishing and golfing gear out of your garage!

I did 2 more hours on Tuesday, so I am done with this 40 hours and will start tracking my summer 40 hours now.

New total: 40!

Thanks to all of you for your support!

Thread Information