Page 19 of 29 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Rittenhouse Verdict

So those of you who think the “vigilantes” should have stayed home - do you include business owners trying to protect their businesses? Remember the rooftop Koreans from the 1992 LA riots. They had ARs, I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    So those of you who think the “vigilantes” should have stayed home - do you include business owners trying to protect their businesses? Remember the rooftop Koreans from the 1992 LA riots. They had ARs, I believe.
    Yeah, the 'vigilante' argument is a little more self serving than being actually useful. Society has a long history of people standing up and volunteering to help solve a problem or mitigate destruction. I remember after 9/11 our military branches were inundated with volunteers wishing to do their part in protecting our country, I guess they were all 'vigilantes' too.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    They weren’t killed over property. They were killed because they attacked an armed man.
    And if the armed man would have stayed at home, no one would have been killed and the property would be just as destroyed?

I'm not convinced of the need or use of a lone untrained person of any age acting in the role of vigilante among an aggitated crowd, though I seem to have a strange appreciation for the Black Panthers.

Roger you are right that two people would still be alive if that kid had stayed home.

I remember after 9/11 our military branches were inundated with volunteers wishing to do their part in protecting our country, I guess they were all 'vigilantes' too.
    noone confuses volunteering for the military with vigilantism. Were the wars misguided, yes, but that's an entirely different subject.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    noone confuses volunteering for the military with vigilantism.
    But they do confuse volunteering to help preserve order and mitigate damages with vigilantism. Strange that...
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    I was surprised to see so few people in the Wisconsin courtroom wearing masks when I was told I would have to wear one for jury duty no ifs, ands or buts.
    Georgia courtrooms also appear to be mask optional given images from the Arbery trial.

Georgia has a lower community spread of covid than Massachusetts now. Masks don't work!!

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I have travelled across state lines to several of the nearby states to help out. Generally I bring a chainsaw, backpack fire pump, Pulaski, McLeod, shovel, axe, PPE, food, sleeping bag, and ideally a wildland firefighting truck.

Sometimes I cross international borders too, to help out. In those cases I bring a boat, water rescue/survival suits, thermal imaging cameras, and boring things like that.

I suppose I should just leave it all to the local authorities though.
    You have different credentials than a 17 year old boy. There is no comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Oh they burnt more than just dumpsters. And you're right, the police should have handled it, but they didn't because the city didn't want them involved in simple property damage, regardless of the severity. They were apparently concerned about how the media would portray their efforts.

As a former cop, or even as just an old retired guy, I would never encourage vigilantes but I do stand with anyone defending their life or businesses from the "mostly peaceful protestors" who ran amuck in Kenosha, causing damages such as these, somebody has to.

THEIR is the operative word!

Dictionary

vig·i·lan·te
    /ˌvijəˈlan(t)ē/
    noun: vigilante; plural noun: vigilantes
    a member of a self-appointed group of citizens who undertake law enforcement in their community without legal authority, typically because the legal agencies are thought to be inadequate.

Thread Information