Page 28 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1826272829 LastLast

Thread: Rittenhouse Verdict

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    I think the boy thing is just a comment on mentality.

I'd be happy to go with tremendously stupid and naive. And possibly (although not necessarily!) not realizing how many years upon years of white supremacy that invokes, you know besides just being generally wtf who does that, because young and dumb. Young and dumb AND unlikely to mature any time soon, because of the forces that are pushing on him now. His life now as some kind of hero to those who are malevolent and looking for trouble is perhaps a punishment of it's own.
    Sadly, I agree with much of this if not all.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    This would be perfect on our SLF t-shirts, just above the salad spinner image!
    Haha, thanks for the love.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    I might view him as a potential threat to avoid, but I certainly wouldn’t chase him down the street and whack him with my skateboard.
    So you’d just lock the doors and let him continue on his way? Maybe the suburbs of Wisconsin are different from every other suburb I’ve ever been in, including the one I live in now. Here if someone walked down the street with a gun strapped to their chest the cops would be here in minutes after being bombarded with a dozen calls about a suspicious person.

yep I'd register a threat to avoid (and I would at any protest too), and in the walking down the street situation I'd also probably call the cops if safe to do so.
    Trees don't grow on money

Isn’t open carry legal in more than 40+ States?

Oh you should’ve heard all of the hoopla last spring when one of our problem neighbors who happens to be a young black man, was sitting in front of his house cleaning his gun. He was doing it to intimidate his neighbors of course. Well it worked, they called cops, they bitched and moaned on Nextdoor, and etc. As a Nextdoor moderator I had to remind Other moderators that he was likely not doing anything illegal.

The cops came and checked him out and all was well. But that doesn’t keep people on his block from taking his bait. He lives in row houses where everyone shares a wall, so everyone there is very close together.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 11-29-21 at 7:50pm.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    So you’d just lock the doors and let him continue on his way?
    I think you have to weigh conditions on the ground before deciding if someone is a threat. When I lived in Alaska back in the 70's it wasn't at all unusual to see people walking down an Anchorage sidewalk with rifles and handguns. In 1974 I was part of a military team sent into Monticello Indiana to help secure businesses and search for victims of a huge tornado. As we rolled into town one of the first things I saw was an older gentleman and his son sitting in folding chairs in front of a pile of rubble with shotguns in their laps. The rubble had been a bank just a few hours earlier and you could easily make out the vault sitting amidst the destruction, we didn't think anything of someone protecting the scene.

In Kenosha last year it was sort of like Monticello in 1974. Parts of the town had been destroyed through fire and vandalism the previous night and many, many people were making an effort to protect what was left by encouraging the thugs to move along please, don't mess with us again. Seeing people with weapons standing in front of property likely to be a target of more of the same would not seem at all unusual to me and would only be a threat to anyone looking for trouble. I really believe all the vitriol against Riddenhouse is misplaced.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I really believe all the vitriol against Riddenhouse is misplaced.
    I didn't look in depth into the timeline of his activities that day, or where he was, but I do think if he was operating alone "patrolling" he was being a bit dimwitted, but that's not a crime.

Also, I'm not generally a fan of open-carry (even when legal) as it invites you being targeted by even more dimwitted folks. This may reflect on his lack of tactical/strategic training and experience. (As far as being untrained with the firearm, well, he seemed to use it reasonably effectively when called upon to do so.)

Heck, when we had our last major crime problem here, the one that caused us to organize committees of vigilance in the village, my own Mom borrowed a rifle to protect her own home and those of her two immediate neighbors. But she didn't go out patrolling the neighborhood on her own, alone, at night :-) (She did manage to startle off The Bad Fellow when he was attempting to break into the neighbor's, but accomplished that with a flashlight, and a yell. She did have the rifle handy however. Even had the bayonet for it.)

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I'm not generally a fan of open-carry (even when legal) as it invites you being targeted by even more dimwitted folks.
    I agree with this, open carry simply draws attention to yourself. Although, if I were attempting to prevent no-good-nics from targeting something under my watch I'd probably want them to know there was appropriate resistance at hand and maybe they should look for easier pickings elsewhere.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    So you’d just lock the doors and let him continue on his way? Maybe the suburbs of Wisconsin are different from every other suburb I’ve ever been in, including the one I live in now. Here if someone walked down the street with a gun strapped to their chest the cops would be here in minutes after being bombarded with a dozen calls about a suspicious person.
    Every third guy around here has a gun. In deer season, they come in from out of town. It’s not likely to create the sort of panic you’re looking for.

It's fascinating to me to learn that all of you live in neighborhoods where hunters go walking down the street with long guns strapped to their chests as a matter of normal behavior. I guess Denver, Miami, New York City, suburban NJ, San Francisco and suburban Bay Area are all a different world from the various places everyone on simple living lives because I have never in my life seen anyone other than a cop, and occasionally rent-a-cops, carrying a gun around.

Thread Information