Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Austria

I agree with IL that requiring vaccination is way overstepping the authority of a government. I am really shocked that they are considering making this a law.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I agree with IL that requiring vaccination is way overstepping the authority of a government. I am really shocked that they are considering making this a law.
    It could be argued by some that mandatory education until a certain age is overreach. Would you want the consequences of a larger number of young people with no prospects and nothing to lose?

And flipping the script, would you want the consequences of larger number of US covid deaths - deaths that could have been prevented via mandates? At least some of these deaths, anyway.

I vote for mandatory vaccination and educatiom to a certain grade/age. But I also understand that many will not agree with me. However I must vote for human life via vaccination. Rob

Above is an article claiming most Americans support vaccine mandates. I can tell you the few neighbors I run into these days support mandates - many of them work at the airport so that's understandable. All my relations do and I've heard cashiers at work supporting mandates but I kept myself out of that conversation. It's far from just myself supporting mandates - but it's also true a sizeable number of Americans don't.

Forgot to add - the above article has an interesting twist - the focus of a potential mandate for school aged kids to be vaccinated. How do you'all view that? Rob

I am for kids being vaccinated to attend school. This is nothing new. If a employer wants to mandate it that’s fine. Both still give people choices. I am triple vaccinated for Covid but it was my choice.

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    Came back to add - I personally don't consider mandates governmental overreach - I see them as an attempt to minimze unnecessary illness and death. Also as a way to keep hospital beds open for those suffering from something other than covid.
    I support triaging hospital admissions so that the unvaccinated wait until all vaccinated people are seen first.

I believe a policy like this would get a good number of the unvaccinated to get their shots without a vaccine mandate.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    I support triaging hospital admissions so that the unvaccinated wait until all vaccinated people are seen first.

I believe a policy like this would get a good number of the unvaccinated to get their shots without a vaccine mandate.
    Wow, I think this is a horrible idea. I hope this never happens.

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    Wow, I think this is a horrible idea. I hope this never happens.
    I would make an exception for minors since they need parental permission so it's not up to them and some are too young for the shot.

This is already happening on a smaller scale. If you need an organ transplant you better be vaccinated.

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    Forgot to add - the above article has an interesting twist - the focus of a potential mandate for school aged kids to be vaccinated. How do you'all view that? Rob
    There are several points to consider here. First, our federal government is not mandating anything. Your Mother country Austria comparison is not an apples to apples one. Granted, Austria is a little smaller than Maine, so there might be a legitimate geographic comparison to our state health departments that set standards.

I am more accepting of state and local control and their reactions to health situations since they can react quicker to situations on the ground. I am opposed to most (all?) federal mandates that are one-size-fits-all. Our CDC does not mandate behavior. It makes recommendations that states and localities can take or leave.

If children and dogs gather together in a gaggle, I guess it’s pretty much fine with me if some minimum inoculation standards are set, especially for diseases that wipe out kids. That is, as long as there are reasonable exceptions that may be made.

The same thing goes for educational standards. Those are set by the state, and localities comply with minimum standards and then make their own additional standards if they choose.. I can assure you that while educational standards are similar across states, they are not the same. There are plenty of ways to get out of “mandated educational attainment” via homeschool, unschool, and as we have learned in this recent pandemic, no schooling.

Yes, no compliance with State standards, some of them weak anyway, has been obvious in the pandemic. If you think state educational departments are looking at children who are not attending any school at all, please research that and you will find otherwise. Just in the influencer blogosphere there are so many children of influencers who are not checking into any kind of mandated program, and those tend to be the privileged kids. God only knows what the urban core kids up in North St. Louis are doing during pandemic when they attend school only sporadically anyway in normal times

Thread Information