Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does anyone have the link for non-profit ratings?

Carol Buckley has built a new sanctuary in Georgia for elephants. Looks good but only one elephant right now and it is a male. My issue with her is she was removed as CEO of the Elephant Sanctuary when it was determined she was not caring for the human employees as much as the elephants. Several of the employees caught tuberculosis from the elephants due to issues such as power washing enclosures and close contact. She was resistant to change as are many founders of organizations. Had a similar issue here in another group.

I am of the personal opinion she is thinking of herself more than Tarra and has convinced herself that she knows best. Elephants are best in communities not alone and Tarra has spent years developing relationships in Tennessee.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
    Carol Buckley has built a new sanctuary in Georgia for elephants. Looks good but only one elephant right now and it is a male. My issue with her is she was removed as CEO of the Elephant Sanctuary when it was determined she was not caring for the human employees as much as the elephants. Several of the employees caught tuberculosis from the elephants due to issues such as power washing enclosures and close contact. She was resistant to change as are many founders of organizations. Had a similar issue here in another group.

I am of the personal opinion she is thinking of herself more than Tarra and has convinced herself that she knows best. Elephants are best in communities not alone and Tarra has spent years developing relationships in Tennessee.
    I don’t know anything about Carol Buckley but that could be problematic.Founders are often problems.

I didn’t know that they kept male elephants. I Kinda didn’t ask about what happened to the boys because I didn’t think it would be pretty. Well none of it’s pretty.

Sweetana,now I remember, vaguely, that controversy atThe Elephant .sanctuary.

There was also controversy about St. Louis’ David Baldus being able to visit his elephant, Flora, when he turned her over to the Elephant Sanctuary. I don’t have an opinion on if he was right or wrong, but I’m pretty sure Carol Buckley was involved with that. Flora was a circus elephant who became tired of performing and she didn’t like it anymore. Also I think the laws surrounding circus performing elephants changed.

That reminds me of show dogs. As you know I’m pretty involved in breed rescue and my friends show bulldogs as well as doing rescue. Some dogs love to go to shows. Some dogs do not like it. There are introvert and extrovert dogs just like with people.

Where do these elephants come from that we even need elephant sanctuaries?

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Where do these elephants come from that we even need elephant sanctuaries?
    Generally, they are brought to the U.S. to perform in circus acts and things like that.

I believe laws now stop that (?) but elephants live a long time, and here they are.

Bought or bred just like any other livestock. A lot of zoo elephant calves have died due to elephant herpes which is a killer. Male elephants are the real issue since they often have special housing needs and mostly need to be kept alone.

Even in Thailand, a male elephant with an attitude is a very dangerous and difficult animal to house. One of the sanctuary males was was suspected of killing one of the founders of the sanctuary. So they had to send him north to a sanctuary who could handle his special needs. https://elephantsandtheirpeople.word...e-to-ideology/

Here the elephants are treated with no contact and protective barriers in sanctuaries.

Thread Information