Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Considering Covid, would you go to a movie theater these days?

Considering Covid, would you go to a movie theater these days?

I have an invite and feel a little uneasy about sitting in a theater for two hours. Thoughts?

I have went to the movies. I go during the week when it’s not busy.

I guess it would depend on the community and its success managing covid, and the theater's protocols, but my initial reflex would be to watch the film at home when it becomes available.

By way of example, the community theater here put on its first live performances again recently. Some distancing was imposed inside, masks had to be worn, all patrons had to have vaccinations and they did quick covid tests at the door before entry. This county has had pretty much the best results in the country, covid-wise, even with our aged demographic and the million+ tourists that still descend upon us. Our infection numbers are quite low, our vaccination rate high, and most people behave responsibly.

There were still nutballs outside the theater protesting their protocols. Bother.

I have been to see two live HD opera transmissions at the Cineplex theatre and in both cases, there were few people in the foyer attending any of the movies. They checked for vaccine status plus verifying one's identity so I have no concerns about attending a movie.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I've had some silmilar choices lately. My criteria right now is no indoor crowded or popular places regardless of vaccination or mask requirements. Other indoor public places with a mask. My younger doctor says he attends the symphony, which is crowded but has vaccination and mask requirements, but said older people might want to use additional precaution. My state and county are Covid hotspots right now.

Yes. I would do it now because I can go during the day where there’s hardly anybody in the theaters.

I would not go to a crowded theater where all seats are full.

I mean, I went to multiple performances at the Santa Fe Opera this summer....

But...

They had social distancing and mask requirements
    They had limited seating, with spacing in between booked "pods" of people
    They are an outdoor venue with great ventilation (and super acoustics too)
    The opera crowd is primarily older people, I was one of the youngest there
    Santa Fe at the time was doing well on their covid stats

Here, I have a employee couple, that their family got together to watch a movie at the theater. I don't know what theaters do it, or not, but it was some deal where a group of 25 could rent a theater and watch a current release movie.

Now, would I?
    Well, I think I have seen 10 movies since paying to see Ishtar in 1987. Larger tv's, surround sound, inexpensive drinks and candy, and no one talking/cell phones going on around me at the house.
    I think not.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I mean, I went to multiple performances at the Santa Fe Opera this summer....

But...

They had social distancing and mask requirements
    They had limited seating, with spacing in between booked "pods" of people
    They are an outdoor venue with great ventilation (and super acoustics too)
    The opera crowd is primarily older people, I was one of the youngest there
    Santa Fe at the time was doing well on their covid stats
    outdoor makes all the difference to me. I’ll do about anything outdoors.

This evening I was contemplating buying tickets to see a well-known comedian who’s coming to town for one night. But then I decided against it even though the performance is months away. I thought to myself Iris, you didn’t see Mick Jagger when he was here last month due to Covid, so why are you risking Covid infection for this purely secondary entertainment?

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I thought to myself Iris, you didn’t see Mick Jagger when he was here last month due to Covid, ...
    You didn't want to risk Madame Tussaud's Wax Museum's travelling exhibit?!?

Thread Information