Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Beto Redux

Beto Redux

I see Beto is running for Texas Governor, apparently much to the delight of the GOP. He’s raising a lot of out-of-state money that might have otherwise gone to more viable candidates.

Can I ask why you do not support/like/think highly of Beto?

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    Can I ask why you do not support/like/think highly of Beto?
    Robert Francis O’Rourke doesn’t seem bright enough to run a big state like Texas. He makes much of how he’s coming for your guns in a state where you’d be better served by advocating a puppy strangulation policy.

I wouldn’t want to see another round of weirdly narcissistic videos of Beto strumming guitars, skateboarding or getting his teeth cleaned. If you want a cult of personality, you should at least have an interesting personality. The good people at Vanity Fair can only do so much for you.

On the plus side, I agree with Kevin Williamson that he will serve as a black hole for Democrats to shovel money into. Better yet, he may be striving to stay in the public eye for purposes of another presidential run. Biden will be 82 by then. Harris is slightly less popular than smallpox. That could mean another primary melee for the donkey party where everyone appeals to the looney extreme and hopes for a short public memory.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Robert Francis O’Rourke doesn’t seem bright enough to run a big state like Texas. He makes much of how he’s coming for your guns in a state where you’d be better served by advocating a puppy strangulation policy.

I wouldn’t want to see another round of weirdly narcissistic videos of Beto strumming guitars, skateboarding or getting his teeth cleaned. If you want a cult of personality, you should at least have an interesting personality. The good people at Vanity Fair can only do so much for you.

On the plus side, I agree with Kevin Williamson that he will serve as a black hole for Democrats to shovel money into. Better yet, he may be striving to stay in the public eye for purposes of another presidential run. Biden will be 82 by then. Harris is slightly less popular than smallpox. That could mean another primary melee for the donkey party where everyone appeals to the looney extreme and hopes for a short public memory.
    My local extreme loon, Cori Bush, is now claiming she had to duck bullets when she was rioting at night in Ferguson all those years ago.

I imagine she will be making a run at the Presidency in the future. Maybe she and her sorority birthing people will try some sort of job share presidency. Maybe I will luck out and be dead by then.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    My local extreme loon, Cori Bush, is now claiming she had to duck bullets when she was rioting at night in Ferguson all those years ago.

I imagine she will be making a run at the Presidency in the future. Maybe she and her sorority birthing people will try some sort of job share presidency. Maybe I will luck out and be dead by then.
    What are sorority birthing people?

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post

Is she the one who hires private security for her Defund the Police rallies?

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    What are sorority birthing people?
    Cori’s cohort is affectionately known by mainstream media as “The Squad” as a specific set of freshmen Congresspeople, a group that includes Alexandria OC.

They are “birthing people” according to Cori, not to be confused with “women.”

Yes, Cori travels with armed security at rallies. I do not know if those guys (I presume they are burly men) were included in her lunch date with Adam Shiff recently at the restaurant literally around the corner from my house.

I was once annoyed that our Congressman seemed to ignore my neighborhood since I saw him visit exactly once in 30 years, but now I am wishing he was back in the seat. Oy vey.

Yppej
    Ugh. I wanted to go hear him speak when he came to NH but no one in his campaign could help me figure out where to park. He only did rallies at college campuses, not places where older people more likely to vote are.

Beto is very popular in Austin where I used to live. Ditto Matthew McConaughey who is considering a run at some point. Regardless of political beliefs, I hope to see some younger candidates rather than the many very old lawmakers still in charge. If you want conservative, think Ben Sasse. He is whip smart and very principled. It is hard for people who don't know Texas and Texans to understand that it's a whole other country.

when I was younger, I voted for Kinky Friedman for governor of Texas and actually was surprised he didn't win. But now I know O'Rourke just doesn't stand a chance to win. There are just not enough Democrats state-wide to elect him. A moderate, reasonable Republican MIGHT, and my money and support (even as a self-identified Democrat) would go to him/her...but every Republican candidate who has announced for governor in Texas is more right-wing wacky than the current governor.

Thread Information