Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Furnishing a new place

Furnishing a new place

Here, I am vowing not to load up my condo with a bunch of crap I don’t like.

My ideal for it is that everything in it will be carefully considered. Every object is there for function or form, and all must “spark joy” as Marie
    Kondo suggests. I will prefer used products, but there’s a certain number of things I have
    to buy “new. “

The kitchen isn’t even done and it’s already apparent that I have more cabinets than I need, so I’m glad I deleted one of them from the plan. More empty space is restful. DH with his little squirrel-like brain is still unhappy that I eliminated one base cabinet and two small wall cabinets over the sink. His brain works in “more is better! “ mode.

For dishes I’m using my fine China that sits on the shelf nearly all of the time. But now it will be used more often, yet because it has gold trim it cannot go in the dishwasher and cannot go in the microwave. So that is a PITA. I’m also going to be using sterling silverware which can go in the dishwasher, according to my friend who ran a bed and breakfast for years.

One of my friends gave me her mom’s heavy iron skillet, so that’s my one iron skillet that I need for this condo. I’m going to wait a while to buy other pots and pans I think. I have to figure out what I really need.

I may ask your advice here about cooking with copper. I know somebody here has high-end copper cookware. I’m not sure if I want that and would I have to keep it clean? That’s not something I want to do but I’m very attracted to the idea of copper cookware.

So todayI’m going to hit thrift stores for plates and bowls that I can use in the microwave. I will also be on the lookout for matching mugs, but that’s hard to find in thrift stores. I really want a set of 4 - 6 blue coffee mugs. The thrift stores are jammed full of coffee mugs but seldom can you find sets. I’ll probably have to buy that new.

For coffee mugs look at Pioneer Women collection from Walmart. She uses blue a lot and online her collection is bigger. I definitely was careful not to overload my condo when I moved. Despite having only 30 plastic bins I ended up getting rid of 4 of them after moving in. I am using my Polish pottery dishes everyday.

Hopefully you found some nice smallish Pyrex “casserole” bowls at a reasonable price. I’ve had mine for, oh, let’s just say, LOTS of years. Microwave well, put the lid back on, leftovers go right into the fridge. The glass lids are great small trays to microwave on as well. Oh, and I love the green and white floral pattern, I know they made them in a nice blue as well.

I believe I posted elsewhere that I'm just not a "decorator". Everything in my house is pretty mix rather than match. LOL.

For the mugs, why not thrift store various blue mugs? Match the color, but mix in style. Just a thought.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Have fun with this effort, IL. I am too white in dishes, cups etc., with neutral furniture and you enjoy lots of colour. I add vivd colour in placemats. Please share your end result.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

At the thrift stores yesterday I got a big, white, crockpot and I’m testing it out right now. I prefer the ones with no design or writing on them at all. But as I think about it I probably should’ve got one of the smaller sizes oh well.

I also bought four plain white mugs that will work until I find blue mugs I really like.

TT you are right, I really like the colors and patterns of the Pioneer’s Woman’s collection. Those are cute. Maybe they would fit better into my cottage decor In the other house. It’s nice to see some color in home decor! I have a lot to say about that, another post probably.

I don't know if Ree What's Her Name actually designs the Pioneer Woman collection; if she does, my hat's off to her. She has a cast iron pumpkin casserole that's to die for, her Instant Pots are some of the prettiest kitchen appliances I've seen, and her multi-pattern ceramic ware is so cute I came within inches of buying a couple of sets.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/The-Pione...1&gclsrc=3p.ds

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I don't know if Ree What's Her Name actually designs the Pioneer Woman collection; if she does, my hat's off to her. She has a cast iron pumpkin casserole that's to die for, her Instant Pots are some of the prettiest kitchen appliances I've seen, and her multi-pattern ceramic ware is so cute I came within inches of buying a couple of sets.

Oh my you are right that pumpkin casserole dish is super cute!

I was on the lookout for years for a nice set of blue and white coffee mugs. I finally scored several at Marshall's on clearance a couple of years ago. I think I paid $6.00 each for them. I bought six, but if I only knew what they would go for on the secondary market, I would have combed all the Marshall's and TJ's and bought all their stock:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12492792756...RoCeOUQAvD_BwE

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post

I love it!

Thread Information