Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hello from the edge of the world! :)

Welcome! I just looked at images of Quebec city. Wow the historic district is stunning. That caused me to go to a real estate site and look up old houses for sale. They are amazing! There’s some gorgeous properties there and yes the price does seem reasonable for a big city in a pretty setting.

The vernacular Quebec City house has a unique roof line that is very charming. I don’t recognize it from other places.

You remind me of Jacob Lund Fisker (Early Retirement Extreme) and in fact you inspired me to go back to my kindle and re-read some parts of that book. Even though I'm past being able to retire "early" I appreciate the thought process behind the concept in terms of value drivers of frugality, resourcefulness and independence.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

from another Canadian living near Lake Erie. Quebec City is beautiful with some wonderful history. The small villages along the St Lawrence are fun to explore.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Nice to see you here, GL! I'm looking forward to seeing more posts from you.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    Nice to see you here, GL! I'm looking forward to seeing more posts from you.
    Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    from another Canadian living near Lake Erie. Quebec City is beautiful with some wonderful history. The small villages along the St Lawrence are fun to explore.
    Thanks for the warm welcome, guys!

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Welcome! I just looked at images of Quebec city. Wow the historic district is stunning. That caused me to go to a real estate site and look up old houses for sale. They are amazing! There’s some gorgeous properties there and yes the price does seem reasonable for a big city in a pretty setting.

The vernacular Quebec City house has a unique roof line that is very charming. I don’t recognize it from other places.
    The entire east side of the city is like that. The 1-bedroom apartment I'm renting for $470 USD (including the utilities + internet) is just a 10-minute walk from all that beauty, and most of the rest of the city has great architecture as well.

I wouldn't buy a house here because I keep hearing horror stories about the local bureaucracy (and also because I'm terrible at maintenance hahaha), but renting, with the same price locked in forever? That's my idea of paradise, eh.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    You remind me of Jacob Lund Fisker (Early Retirement Extreme) and in fact you inspired me to go back to my kindle and re-read some parts of that book. Even though I'm past being able to retire "early" I appreciate the thought process behind the concept in terms of value drivers of frugality, resourcefulness and independence.
    That's an excellent compliment - thank you!! Jacob's blog was one of the cornerstones for my lean-FIRE philosophy. I'm not as extreme as him (I'd rather not eat just lentils , and I do love to travel), but he's a certified badass. If the rest of y'all aren't familiar, here is his blog and his book.
    Earn more, spend less, invest the rest.
    www.letsretireyoung.com

I went to QC once back in 2001. Drove from Toronto. I think it was like 10 or 11 hours drive. Still have good memories of that place. LOTs of places to see.

Thread Information