Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Declining a Thanksgiving invitation

Pinkytoe, we did the same thing this year, declined a 4 hour round trip invitation. I too felt guilty, but we are just too beat to do that, plus heaven knows what the weather will be, and I'd be anxious all week waiting for the day. DH made reservations for a restaurant, so we'll see how that goes.

I agree with the consensus here. Thanksgiving is traditionally the most miserable time of year for long distance travel.

I also agree with what all the others have said. A nice "Thank you for thinking of us, but no." is perfectly fine. Have a wonderful, quiet Thanksgiving!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

We declined two invitations from people less than 5 miles away. Please don't feel guilty.

The other side of it is, they were maybe thinking about you having Thanksgiving by yourselves and feeling sorry for you, and thinking they should ask you, as you are beloved family. They probably now feel they've fulfilled their familial duty with the ask and they are probably just fine with whatever you decide to do.

(And I'm definitely projecting my own past experiences here.)
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

It is only about every 5 years that I feel like having a big to-do for Thanksgiving. Ok, maybe it is every 7 years.

Next year I will probably invite my brother and his wife and a couple of their friends to come to Hermann for thanksgiving because they are anxious for another Hermann visit. It is a cute place.My sister in law said they almost invited themselves this year, but ummm they do not realize we have no kitchen, no beds for guests, and only cold running water in the basement. Not yet set up for guests even at a casual level.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 11-23-21 at 1:22pm.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    It is only about every 5 years that I feel like having a big to-do for Thanksgiving. Ok, maybe it is every 7 years.

Next year I will probably invite my brother and his wife and a couple of their friends to come to Hermann for thanksgiving because they are anxious for another Hermann visit. It is a cute place.My sister in law said they almost i cited themselves this year, but ummm we have no kitchen, no beds for guests, and only cold running water in the basement. Not yet set up for guests even at a casual level.
    Yes, the only guests you should invite to that environment are the type of guests you hope will not accept another invite from you ever again.

I sent her an email late last night and declined and will call in a bit just to make sure. The reality is we are all getting older and should get together while we can but as mentioned, not during the holidays when everything is crazy. I told her we would like to come visit them at their St Louis house next spring. Ulterior motive - I can go to the botanical garden there

If I am traveling that far I get a motel room for a day or two. I also only go over mountain passes if no snow is predicted.

It is predicted to snow here tomorrow so the high country will definitely get it. It is funny how people think you are miserable if you are by yourself for the holidays or even birthdays.

Thread Information