Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Declining a Thanksgiving invitation

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Yes, the only guests you should invite to that environment are the type of guests you hope will not accept another invite from you ever again.
    So funny, but so true!

Say thanks but no and don't give a reason why. But maybe suggest a non-holiday get together at a halfway point for both of you. Maybe a restaurant three hours away or a hotel where you can dine and stay overnight if you have to (pets permitted, of course).

I don't miss all the driving I used to do on holidays. At this point, I wouldn't travel for an audience with the Pope.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    So funny, but so true!
    DH always invites people and often I cringe because I think about how I won't be ready, and I won't have the time to prepare, but he says the best guests are the ones who you invite and they decline. At least you've invited them!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Yes, the only guests you should invite to that environment are the type of guests you hope will not accept another invite from you ever again.
    Yes! Haha.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    It is funny how people think you are miserable if you are by yourself for the holidays or even birthdays.
    Indeed. Everyone’s idea of how holidays and birthdays should be spent or celebrated is different. SO strongly wants to be with family. Last year we spent both thanksgiving and Christmas home, just the two of us, and he was miserable. This year we’re going to San Diego for thanksgiving with my sister and Christmas in at Louis with his family like we have done for several years prior to last year. I’m typing this at sfo and now I’m miserable. Haha. But seriously, I like my sister and her wife and will enjoy tomorrow but I hate traveling on the busiest travel weekend of the year. At least it’s a short flight and the weather is good.

If you have Skype or Zoom or the equivalent, you can do that if you need to be face to face. Driving in winter weather would be a hard no for me, seeing that I've been there and done that. Ask me about that ice storm in Portland... One of the advantages of old age is being able to "just say no."

Indeed. Everyone’s idea of how holidays and birthdays should be spent or celebrated is different. SO strongly wants to be with family. Last year we spent both thanksgiving and Christmas home, just the two of us, and he was miserable. This year we’re going to San Diego for thanksgiving with my sister and Christmas in at Louis with his family like we have done for several years prior to last year. I’m typing this at sfo and now I’m miserable. Haha. But seriously, I like my sister and her wife and will enjoy tomorrow but I hate traveling on the busiest travel weekend of the year. At least it’s a short flight and the weather is good.
    Back in the years when DH had parents living in Northern
    iowa,He liked going for one of the winter holidays. After a few years of dodging snow storms on icy roads I noped out of that.

Sometimes in those early years I wanted to alternate which holiday he was home for. Other years I didn’t care. And then, as his parents became very very old, I thought it was fine he go up to Snowy Coldland if that’s what he wanted to do.

When I was working I much preferred to work holiday season days so that people in my department who want it off could take off. I preferred to take vacation time in the spring and early summer.

Thread Information