Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winter in Northern Sweden

Winter in Northern Sweden

"Living with the Dark Winters in Sweden"
    Jonna Jinton is a creative artist. She talks about how she balances the bright days of Midsummer with the dark days and long nights of winter. Her video makes use of time lapse photography of the aurora borealis and drone videos of the boreal forest. I was with the video as she traveled on cross country skis and snowshoes, and her hand-warming in the firelight... but not when she dipped in the lake for her ice-bathing at 8:45.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zTR4ayDG38

I would love to live there, for a while.

I would too. Thanks, dado.

Ugh. Nope.

I wonder, are there blizzards there like there are on the Midwestern plains?

Lovely to see but not for me. Thanks, Dado.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

What a lovely woman; I love her voice - very easy to listen to. I watched two of her videos and will definitely go back to watch more. Thank you so much for posting this link.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    What a lovely woman.
    Her videos seem to have an appreciative audience.

Jonna expresses her own femininity. One might contrast her video with one featuring Lady GaGa, with a different way of expressing femininity in front of a camera... in this case, meeting Tony Bennett in a Barnes & Noble bookstore, and "Baby, It's Cold Outside". www.youtube.com/watch?v=gK2x_bnzwZU

I suppose she is sort of doing the social media thing of selling one's life for the views. It's a somewhat interesting life I guess. And that video was interesting, light and dark and nature. I do get jealous, it's a very beautiful area that she has filmed.

But the truth is the lack of light even here toward the end of the year, and my energy and mood are crashing (and yea in summer I probably would be manic and unable to sleep, I'd definitely have light blocking curtains). I should not expect a flower to bloom in the middle of winter perhaps, or certainly we shouldn't expect ourselves to go into holiday hyper-drive, but I still have to get some minimal stuff done.

I have been taking the cold showers thing sometimes for health (whether it really has health benefits well who knows, I doubt it's that much studied, it's fairly miserable anyways ). There is probably a limit to how cold it gets, a shower on cold in California, compared to an ice bath in the arctic, well yea you should only expect a temperate flower to be able to take so low a temperature and survive or something

I wonder at the effect of climate change there, I'm sure if there any period of time, it's very great, some of bfs relatives check in from Denmark sometimes, very much so.
    Trees don't grow on money

I imagine if I lived in an idyllic, picturesque countryside such as the one she lives in I might be able to appreciate the darkness more. And if I could romp over an ice-covered lake, or kneel in a perfect blanket of pillowy snow. (Ha, me getting up from that position would not be film-worthy).

But all snarkiness aside, I'm happy for her. I enjoyed watching her film. And I do like to try and embrace the dark season. Just here, it's mostly gray. And drizzly. All the time til it's dark.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

I really liked that. Thanks for sharing, Dado.

Thread Information