Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Happy Thanksgiving

Happy Thanksgiving

Since we’ve already started cooking, I would like to wish all and sundry a happy Thanksgiving. I’ve always liked the idea of a holiday based on gratitude, that most positive of emotions.

And a very Happy Thanksgiving back to you and yours, LDAHL. I actually started doing some of my dishes this morning before work.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

I like Thanksgiving well enough except that it sets off the “holiday season” which I tire of after 3-5 days. Unfortunately, it goes on and on for weeks.

Happy Thanksgiving--yes gratitude is a wonderful emotion and a good regular practice!

We'll be grateful if we can find a turkey! True to our fashion of waiting to the last minute, we realized we hadn't gotten a turkey yet, so DH is calling our local turkey producer to see if she has anything left. Our next door neighbors will be coming over and my single son as well, but my two married kids are off to the in-laws. Should be pretty low-key.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Happy Thanksgiving--yes gratitude is a wonderful emotion and a good regular practice!

We'll be grateful if we can find a turkey! True to our fashion of waiting to the last minute, we realized we hadn't gotten a turkey yet, so DH is calling our local turkey producer to see if she has anything left. Our next door neighbors will be coming over and my single son as well, but my two married kids are off to the in-laws. Should be pretty low-key.
    My clever wife always keeps one in the freezer for “emergencies”. Worked out well for us this year.

This is the alternate year we share with her side of the family, a prolific tribe that overstuffs a farmhouse with the full spectrum of the ages of man. So many people are there that you usually get a choice of turkey, chicken or ham. The holiday at my side of the family is much smaller in scope and a great deal quieter. I’ve come to appreciate both for different reasons.

I love the gratitude holiday. I have a friend who on her Facebook page Nov. 1, each year, listed one thing she was grateful for and added one each day. She is very ill now and did not do that this month. I miss it, so I am doing my own, in my journal. I have to catch up as it is the 24th. There is so much each minute for which I am grateful so 24 items is not a difficult task.

Happy Turkey Day, everyone.

Btw, practicing thankfulness daily (just like @nswef described) is a great way to stay grounded and happy. You don't even have to write them down - just the act of thinking about it and saying it out loud once a day makes a difference.
    Earn more, spend less, invest the rest.
    www.letsretireyoung.com

Happy Thanksgiving everybody!

I do appreciate the sentiment of being thankful, and I plan to eat good food (tomato beef curry) and ignore football, which are the perks of having a solitary holiday. I may make turkey soup later this week.

I am cooking for the first time in 4 years because my son is helping. There’s 5 of us. I invited a friend who would have been alone and she is bringing pies. Happy thanksgiving everyone!!

We are baking a chicken. I couldn’t face the process of handling lots of turkey leftovers.

We have a very old foster dog here for a while who will probably get more chicken than she commonly gets in her diet. Not the skin, tho! That greasy, fatty stuff generates pancreatitis in dogs, especially in elders.

Thread Information