Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Happy Thanksgiving

Happy thanksgiving. Yes it's a good holiday. The holiday madness that follows Thanksgiving I could do without.

Making turkey. Actually bought a regular turkey and a heritage turkey. But I'm just going to make the regular one and have heritage turkey one another week (in freezer), I've never had a heritage turkey, always wanted to try one. I have had heritage chicken, it's tasty but much stronger in taste and aroma than regular chicken. I don't think it's to everyone's taste but I am (gasp! noooo!!!!) a foodie so But fancy turkeys aside it's a good holiday.
    Trees don't grow on money

I brined a turkey overnight and my brother is going to smoke it today. I also have a small ham. We'll have the traditional sides and desserts. There will be six of us - DH, me, daughter, brother, SIL and niece.
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

I don’t remember the last time we were with others at Thanksgiving. This year we are at a senior mobile home park in Texas and will share a meal where we all signed up to bring something. I never minded just having our own celebration but am looking forward to sharing a meal.

Last year we got a lovely take out Thanksgiving meal that lasted several days. This year we are going to a restaurant with Mom and one of her friends. Probably will have some leftovers too since none of us eats large meals. But that is kind of a bonus for us since we love leftovers.

Will be joining some siblings and their families for Thanksgiving. I'm making some salads and veggie sides. I love having a whole turkey to cook! I did get my "free" turkey from the grocery store and plan to cook it sometime this weekend... maybe Sunday. Will divide it up into meal size portions and into the freezer it goes. Make a bunch of broth, then soup from the bones. I can't wait!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Joining my goddaughter's extended family for Thanksgiving. I just have to bring pie (apple) and cheese. As a single, I am forever grateful I have never, up to this point, had to cook (or host) an entire holiday dinner.

Wishing you all a very Happy Thanksgiving!! We will be going to my sister's in our RV, taking the dog and spending the night so we can all hang out late in our jammies and play cards and board games then have breakfast and mimosas in the morning. T-day with our kids will be on our traditional Saturday since they work graveyard and get OT for both Thu/Fri. Sunday we are then taking off with them to the coast for several days where we will eat leftovers and they will mushroom hunt while I work on Christmas cards and read some new books.

Last year I had Thanksgiving at home due to Covid worries, and had Tofurkey. Thinking back to a year ago, while Covid is hardly gone, I am thankful for having a vaccine avaiible and relaxing at least some of the social distancing. And also not having to eat Tofurkey again, possibly forever. I'm traveling a short distance to have dinner with my brother and will fall off the vegan wagon for a real turkey meal, though certain meat products have lost their appeal, the other fixings are always good.

Wishing everyone a very happy, healthy and safe Thanksgiving.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Adding my thanks to all of you as well. My life is definitely more interesting and enjoyable with my simple living 'family' in it. Hope everyone's day is filled with good food and good company. (Or quiet and peaceful solitude if that's your preference...)

Thread Information