Thread: How to afford to shop ethically

How to afford to shop ethically

I thought this was an interesting article, on shopping ethically, de-cluttering etc..

https://www.thecut.com/2021/11/how-c...=pocket-newtab

Not groundbreaking, but useful thoughts, shopping ethically isn't groundbreaking either, it's not enough by itself, but if one is concerned about such things. I liked the idea of having at least one category you like to support, even if that's giving oneself leeway when shopping at thrifts (well if one has a cluttering problem that is on them ), the farmers market, or whatever it is for one, that one feels good about, and allows themselves some leeway.

Although personally, I don't think we have to ask ourselves could everyone afford it for everything. I mean there is a great deal of poverty all around, but I'm not poor, and sometimes I can afford something that isn't what I would have to buy if I was. And no, I don't go to infinite effort for every single thing I have ever decluttered either, but I appreciate the concept.
    Trees don't grow on money

Thank you I liked the views of this article. I try to make the best choices with purchases without beating myself up anymore over it. Sometimes I would go all or none, now I try to do the best I can.

I think the most effective thing most of us can do is to buy less. I would feel better about buying certain things if they weren't all from some other country.

My "category" tends to be to support our local businesses, especially this time of year at Christmas. Every year I send my brother/SIL and gift basket with VT-made products, and they're mostly food, and I think they enjoy them. Last year I sent my brother VT craft beer, and I know he liked that because he posted it on Facebook.

As for personal use, it is a tightrope between ethics vs affordability. As my needs and my wants shrink, I feel I can spend a little more per purchase if it's going to support the community. It kills DH when I tell him I want the $7/lb grass-fed beef from our local provider instead of the $3/lb family pack from Costco, but I tell him that I don't eat much meat, so we can afford to spend a little more.

As for clothes, I don't buy many clothes these days either, but DH and I have become LLBean folks. They make some of their products in Maine still, but even if the specific item I buy has been made overseas I'm still supporting a New England company. Again, I could spend less, but if I am only spending $200/year on clothes (2020 I spent under $140 on clothes for. myself), I can tip my scales in favor of more expensive, but high-quality local goods.

I also thrift for home goods at a local thrift shop that turns the proceeds over to the township for the food bank/free home services for locals.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Interesting article. Thanks for posting. I already ask myself some of these questions, but probably not often enough.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

I know that hundreds of truckloads of used clothing goes to 3rd world countries. I’m not sure if they put them in landfills there, or distribute to people, or what.

I just shake my head at the fashion industry and how it is now suddenly focusing on sustainable clothing to combat their detestable role in “fast fashion.” All of the fashion gurus are trying to fool themselves and us. While they continue to have two fashion shows a year that bring out something supposedly new, sustained fashion ain’t where it’s at.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 11-27-21 at 2:15pm.

Now that my condo is decorated and furnished I rarely buy anything not consumable. When I lost weight I only needed pants and bras because my friend gave me so many clothes my closet is full. She is 5 inches shorter than me.

Every year I try to focus on doing one thing differently. This year will be to try to make more ethical choices. Besides shopping at thrift stores, which I've done for many years, I'm going to try to go less often because there's always some great deal that I can't leave. My horse's supplies will be bought at a local tack shop, where I also have consignment credit.

I work in a kitchen and usually use plastic cutlery for my lunch. Now I finally remembered to pack my extra silverware from home to use instead. There's an eco-friendly store about an hour away where you can bring your own jars, containers, etc. and buy different things by weight. Now I'm using wool dryer balls (live in a condo, so no clothesline) and Meliora laundry powder (great company!) and may try a few other things from there. The usual laundry detergent and softener use so much packaging and the one pound of powder I bought should last a long time when only using half a tablespoon per load. My soaps are made by a family in Oregon. One of my skincare products is quite expensive, but works great and they plant a tree for every purchase made.

After using zero drop running shoes for a few months, my feet have been so happy with a wider toe box and no support. The companies that make minimalist shoes are small and I don't mind paying more money for great shoes made by great people.

It all doesn't amount to much, but hopefully will lead to bigger and better choices. A lot of the more ethical choices do cost more, but if I'm buying less, it may be more affordable for me. Each purchase will be thought out . My state will be banning single use plastic bags next year, which I'm thrilled about. Plastic straws and styrofoam are also banned next May. My workplace used hundreds and hundreds of styrofoam containers during the pandemic; all that trash just made me sick.

Interesting reading! Do I really want this, need this, today or later, and where will it be stored seem to be my favourite questions before making a purchase.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Thread Information