Thread: Gray Wolf Tracks in the snow - 10 feet from my driveway

Gray Wolf Tracks in the snow - 10 feet from my driveway

About one-half inch of snow fell last night, and I believe a lone gray wolf trotted on the asphalt-paved road. Then it looks like he made a 120-degree turn and trotted through my front yard toward the forest land next door. Since then, more flurries of snow fell, partially obscuring the tracks. In-line the paw prints are about 23" apart, suggesting a direct register trot.

The numbers of individual gray wolves and of packs in Northern WI has increased considerably since 1980. They were removed from the federal government endangered species list in January 2021. When the snow is a few inches deeper, I probably will snowshoe into the forest and look for tracks of a pack. (In past winters I have heard wolves howling from that direction (South-east) and also from the North-east (where there is a golf course and more wild land).

000_0581 (2).jpg

000_0582 (2).jpg

Cool. Do you worry about wolves when out snow shoeing in their domain?

My state just recently passed a proposal to re-introduce the wolf. It was one of the more contencious regional issues on the ballot with the ranchers against and city folk for. A country friend said that they are bringing back what his grandfather spent time getting rid of. I read an old account of a rancher from back a hundred years or so ago and they had shot a wolf preying on his cattle. It weighed 150 pounds (!) and there was a bounty.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post

My state just recently passed a proposal to re-introduce the wolf. It was one of the more contencious regional issues on the ballot with the ranchers against and city folk for. A country friend said that they are bringing back what his grandfather spent time getting rid of. I read an old account of a rancher from back a hundred years or so ago and they had shot a wolf preying on his cattle. It weighed 150 pounds (!) and there was a bounty.
    It is a delicate balance to determine whether humans are interfering or intervening for positive purposes. This is an old video, but if you haven't seen it, it really is worth a view: "How Wolves Change Rivers."

"Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I loved that video the first time that I saw it and yet again just now viewing it again. Thanks for sharing, both Dado and Catherine.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    The risk of an attack is quite low. There is an abundance of deer and other prey in the forest. Most likely the wolves would hear me coming from a quarter-mile or more, and if they heard me coming closer, I believe they would move out of my way. It would be a good idea to go with a buddy and to carry a cell phone.

Wow! Great video! I've never seen it before. Thanks so much for sharing.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    It is a delicate balance to determine whether humans are interfering or intervening for positive purposes. This is an old video, but if you haven't seen it, it really is worth a view: "How Wolves Change Rivers."
    That's a nice video. I suspect the impact of wolves differs by ecosystem and the availability of easy domestic animal meals. One of my favorite movies of all times is, "Never Cry Wolf". It's older but still relevant.

Thread Information