Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: December Purge

A paint purge is on my December list. I've kept parts of gallons in the garage from interior and outside painting for touch ups, but most of it is several years old and samples I've checked are no longer good. I think I have a place that will dispose of it properly. I finally put my gas canister in the trash since all of my yard tools are now on batteries or corded. I'd kept it around in case electric was not working for me but the test period is over. And while I'm in the garage, a few unused tools to take to Habitat.

All of my outdoor Holiday lights are solar now, so the corded ones will go this year.

I'm undecided on a book purge. I have some favorite books I'm certain not to reread again, but it's hard to get rid of the favorites. I have a few tools that are sort of like that, too

Sis and I have launched another major purge at Mom's house, with Mom's permission. She has lost her hearing aids again, and this time we cannot find them anywhere. There is just so much clutter that it makes everything a bit more difficult. Sister and I find it distracting and overwhelming, and it certainly can't be doing Mom any good. The tricky part is trying to balance some tidiness and order with her "out of sight, out of mind" issues. I think we can make some headway by editing out some of the superfluous and redundant stuff so that sheer volume is decreased. We took away and donated 4 large bags of mostly books. She has shelves in her living room that I would like to repurpose with some clearly-labeled storage containers for some of the items she has spread over all the horizontal surfaces, e.g. hearing aid supplies, CDs, DVDs, papers of sentimental value. She likes to Swiffer and we had culled some Swiffer mops a few years ago, but she still has at least 6 of them, and I think that one upstairs and one downstairs should be sufficient. I gave away a big box of xmas cards on our local Facebook page because Mom hasn't sent xmas cards for years.
    She truly does have every horizontal surface in her good-sized house covered with stuff - kitchen counters, kitchen table, dining room table, two desks, coffee table, parlor end tables, bathroom counter, all bureaus and night-tables in the three bedrooms. And then she sets up little tv tables when she needs more space for stuff. It makes for a really dusty environment as well, and she has serious asthma/COPD. So we have our work cut out for us! We did improve things quite a bit a few years back (I know it doesn't sound like it, but it's true), but now it's time to take it to the next level.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    Sis and I have launched another major purge at Mom's house, with Mom's permission. She has lost her hearing aids again, and this time we cannot find them anywhere. There is just so much clutter that it makes everything a bit more difficult. Sister and I find it distracting and overwhelming, and it certainly can't be doing Mom any good. The tricky part is trying to balance some tidiness and order with her "out of sight, out of mind" issues. I think we can make some headway by editing out some of the superfluous and redundant stuff so that sheer volume is decreased. We took away and donated 4 large bags of mostly books. She has shelves in her living room that I would like to repurpose with some clearly-labeled storage containers for some of the items she has spread over all the horizontal surfaces, e.g. hearing aid supplies, CDs, DVDs, papers of sentimental value. She likes to Swiffer and we had culled some Swiffer mops a few years ago, but she still has at least 6 of them, and I think that one upstairs and one downstairs should be sufficient. I gave away a big box of xmas cards on our local Facebook page because Mom hasn't sent xmas cards for years.
    She truly does have every horizontal surface in her good-sized house covered with stuff - kitchen counters, kitchen table, dining room table, two desks, coffee table, parlor end tables, bathroom counter, all bureaus and night-tables in the three bedrooms. And then she sets up little tv tables when she needs more space for stuff. It makes for a really dusty environment as well, and she has serious asthma/COPD. So we have our work cut out for us! We did improve things quite a bit a few years back (I know it doesn't sound like it, but it's true), but now it's time to take it to the next level.
    This sounds like a great plan, especially reducing redundant stuff. I have been noticing my tendency to pile stuff on horizontal surfaces lately and I swear this is the week I clear off all horizontal surfaces in my house--it is really, really bugging me.

Good luck, rosa. Clean horizontal surfaces are important in housekeeping.

Sounds like you have made a decent dent and have a good plan. rosa. Good luck to you and your sister!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

When a major purge needed to be done at my friend’s house that had Alzheimer’s my ex husband would take her out for the day to our house so she couldn’t interfere. She wouldn’t part with anything. Then my friend and I worked under her husband’s supervision. He couldn’t help because he was dying from cancer. I have asthma and allergies and I have to say it’s been much better since I downsized my decorative items. Also having a smaller space means I clean more often because it’s faster and easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    When a major purge needed to be done at my friend’s house that had Alzheimer’s my ex husband would take her out for the day to our house so she couldn’t interfere. She wouldn’t part with anything. Then my friend and I worked under her husband’s supervision. He couldn’t help because he was dying from cancer. I have asthma and allergies and I have to say it’s been much better since I downsized my decorative items. Also having a smaller space means I clean more often because it’s faster and easier.
    Fortunately Mom is quite cooperative, and she understands that we are trying to make her space a good one to enable her to live independently in her own home for as long as possible. We are kind of starting with the lower-hanging fruit though. I can envision some future sessions where Sis & I do some work while Mom is out for a ride with our caregiver/friend.

Sounds like you and sis have a great plan, rosa. Glad your mom understands and is cooperative.

Been giving away books in small lots through the local Buy Nothing group. The theme lots like All the Books in a Series, Yesterday's Future Today (Science fiction books published in the 60s that take place in the 2020s), Find Your Next Favorite Author (anthologies), and Airport Reading (random assortment of paperbacks).

I'll admit it's fun coming up with themes for the lots, though I wish I could just drop them off somewhere. The lots move quickly once I post them, giving priority to the first to pick up also helps.

Continuing to winnow through recipes.

Quote Originally Posted by hana View Post
    Sounds like you and sis have a great plan, rosa. Glad your mom understands and is cooperative.

Been giving away books in small lots through the local Buy Nothing group. The theme lots like All the Books in a Series, Yesterday's Future Today (Science fiction books published in the 60s that take place in the 2020s), Find Your Next Favorite Author (anthologies), and Airport Reading (random assortment of paperbacks).

I'll admit it's fun coming up with themes for the lots, though I wish I could just drop them off somewhere. The lots move quickly once I post them, giving priority to the first to pick up also helps.
    Are there any Little Free Libraries nearby that you can help to stock?

Mom was at an appointment with Sis when I dropped off groceries today, so I gathered another batch of cards and am offering them up on Facebook.
    Oh, and I gave away two cartons of macadamia nut milk via FB yesterday. Those were bought by DH, and he had decided he didn't like it.

Thread Information