View Poll Results: Would you accompany your partner on their first flying lesson?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sure! Sounds like a great adventure!

6 46.15%
  • If the weather is good

0 0%
  • Only if my partner doesn't buy my lame excuses

0 0%
  • Hell no!

7 53.85%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Would you accompany your partner on their first flying lesson?

Technically helicopters are a rotary winged aircraft, but avoidance is still a good choice and could have a flexible definition.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    Technically helicopters are a rotary winged aircraft, but avoidance is still a good choice and could have a flexible definition.
    That's fake news. They are deathtraps, not aircraft. I work with them every week, and you won't see me getting in one myself unless I am dying :-)

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    That's fake news. They are deathtraps, not aircraft. I work with them every week, and you won't see me getting in one myself unless I am dying :-)
    On my first helicopter flight I asked if the pilot was good. The answer was, he's 44 years old.

I have stories about small fixed wing too and I would not voluteer to get in either. Hot air balloons are not aircraft and I'd not ride in one of those either.

EDIT: But it could be a personal issue. A simple training flight in good weather with an experienced pilot and maintained aircraft is pretty low risk and could be fun. I voted great (one time) adventure, but would not make a habit of it and would check a few details of the plane and pilot.
    Last edited by Rogar; 12-4-21 at 9:29am.

My answer was "Hell no!" because I wouldn't want to be a distraction. Although I'd welcome a video.

I think I'd want to go to the airport and then watch from the ground (and video it). I agree with Jane about being a distraction. The same as how if I were teaching a teenager to drive I wouldn't let them bring their best friend along, at least not for the first few outings.

That said, if your DH really really wants you there then I suppose I would go since this is probably not going to become a regular thing.

Wrong question.

The correct one, is while your husband choose a Saturday so that you can go with him, will the instructor, allow the distraction of another person?

I hate small planes so definitely no!

If DH wanted me along, I wouldn't miss it for the world!

I'm sure it will be a dual control plane so it's not like your husband will be in solo control of the flying at this point. How do you feel about small planes with professional pilots in them?

My ex was a trained pilot, got up to nightflying instrument rating. He bought a plane. I only went up with him once and I was terrified. It's just so tiny and claustrophobic, and it didn't help that I did not trust his judgment. It was just like being on a roller coaster ride--really scary because of the size of the plane.

If he wants you to go, and you are not scared of flying, then go for it. I don't think you are in any danger.

But personally, I would never do it again.

Hell, no was ny answer!

Thread Information