View Poll Results: Would you accompany your partner on their first flying lesson?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sure! Sounds like a great adventure!

6 46.15%
  • If the weather is good

0 0%
  • Only if my partner doesn't buy my lame excuses

0 0%
  • Hell no!

7 53.85%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Would you accompany your partner on their first flying lesson?

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    I'm sure it will be a dual control plane so it's not like your husband will be in solo control of the flying at this point. How do you feel about small planes with professional pilots in them?

My ex was a trained pilot, got up to nightflying instrument rating. He bought a plane. I only went up with him once and I was terrified. It's just so tiny and claustrophobic, and it didn't help that I did not trust his judgment. It was just like being on a roller coaster ride--really scary because of the size of the plane.

If he wants you to go, and you are not scared of flying, then go for it. I don't think you are in any danger.

But personally, I would never do it again.
    I agree that she’s not in real danger, it’s just that for me it would not be fun.

I've gone up twice and my husband did not want to be there or even know that I was doing it. I was fine with that. One was in Georgian Bay Ontario and one was in Frederick MD . Both times I was able to take control...did not like that part much...just liked the ride!

So here is what happened:

This morning DH sent all kinds of text messages to the kids about flying up into the Wild Blue Yonder and maybe doing a barrel roll or two. The day was absolutely perfect for flying--not a cloud in the sky. So when we got there, our instructor, Matt, reassured us by telling us he's been flying since he was 18. Slightly less reassuring to hear that he's 21 and that these hours he puts in go towards Aviation School credits. We went over all the expectations for the flight and Matt set our flight plan so that we would fly up to our house in the Islands, and we could take pictures, and then swing around and follow the coastline back down to Burlington.

So we go out to the field where the Cessnas were and he told us that we were flying one of his favorite planes--even though it's one of the older ones. DH asked "How old is it?" Let's just say, that the plane is considerably older than Matt.

DH gets into the captain's seat and Matt explains how to taxi and how to take off. We do the checklist, get on the headsets, and start up the engine. DH did a great job taxi-ing, considering accelerating and braking are not exactly like driving a car.

We get to the runway, and Matt tells DH that DH will be pulling the throttle when they hit 50 knots. I'm sitting in the back taking videos and shooting them out to the kids and keeping quiet. I don't want ANYTHING to distract DH.

So ATC gives us the go-ahead for take-off, the prop spins, we accelerate--and then take off. I think I remember Matt saying that the altimeter read about 1,000 ft when DH says, "How high are we going to go?" Matt tells him to just keep accelerating. And then--

DH's acrophobia kicks in BIG TIME. He tells Matt, "I want to go back." Matt is a bit surprised but asks, "Do you need assistance?" DH says no he just wants to go back. So Matt informs ATC that we are headed back, to which ATC asks, "Do you need assistance?" Matt says, no someone is just not feeling well. DH tells Matt about his fear of heights and Matt says, "It will help if you just keep your gaze straight ahead." To which DH says, "I have my eyes closed." Matt says "That won't help." Meanwhile, DH is gripping the ceiling.

I have flashbacks of our honeymoon in Acapulco when we went parasailing and I thought it was so much fun, and the staff had to peal DH's fingers off the rope when we landed. I recall DH's favorite joke that the highest he likes to get is on a bar stool.

DH flies commercially often and has no problem with it. But this Cessna was almost if the plane was less like an instrument of transport and more like a motorized article of clothing--it was wrapped so tightly around us, which freaked out DH. Our flight into the Wild Blue Yonder lasted about 4 minutes.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

It is a wonderfully unique experience that you shared with him. Sometimes, one has dreams of some activity; the reality just doesn't measure up but the wisdom and insights gained are worthwhile. That has happened to many people including me.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Yay for your DH, clearly a man of common sense.

There are certain phobias we just don't have much control over. Hopefully there will be some entertainment in telling the story without causing anyone embarassment some day.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    There are certain phobias we just don't have much control over. Hopefully there will be some entertainment in telling the story without causing anyone embarassment some day.
    Yes, that's what I told DH: I praised his ability to taxi and take off so well, and I told him that true phobias are visceral responses. Frankly, I've always been amazed, knowing about this phobia, that he was able to rappel out of helicopters in the Marines.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I'm glad you went with him, now you both have another lifelong memory of a shared adventure.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Yay for your DH, clearly a man of common sense.
    Yah on that. Heights get me too.

Oh dear. It will make a good anecdote some day...

Thread Information