Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Oakland Co, MI show trial

  1. #1
    Senior Member iris lilies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Always logged in
    Posts
    20,718

    Oakland Co, MI show trial

    I listened to Oakland Countyís prosecutor detail the charges against the school shooterís parents in Michigan. They are charged on four counts of involuntary manslaughter.

    When you listen to the disregard of the parents for their sonsís involvement in gun use, and hear the very strong action of the school in alerting these parents to the danger of their sonóthese charges are not too strong. Probably, legally, this is all she could do, the prosecutor I mean.


    Here I am all for a big show trial that causes the parents as much pain as possible, as much financial hardship as possible. Donít plead this one out.

    Perhaps other facts will come to light later that tell their story in a more sympathetic way, but Iím going to be skeptical.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    7,143
    I suppose it differs by state, but is there a difference between manslaughter and criminally negligent homicide?

  3. #3
    Senior Member bae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Offshore
    Posts
    10,080
    I'll be curious to see what facts develop. The news coverage seems a bit breathless.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    4,807
    I have always wondered why parents aren't held accountable when juveniles break the law. Period.

  5. #5
    Senior Member iris lilies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Always logged in
    Posts
    20,718
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    I have always wondered why parents aren't held accountable when juveniles break the law. Period.
    You mean, holding parents accountable for things they dont do?

    You mean, holding people accountable for committing crimes they don’t commit?

    That seems to be not in the spirit of Western law.. I mean, in North Korea they hold generations accountable for something a 5th generation ancestor did. I don’t think that’s a good direction to go in.

  6. #6
    Senior Member bae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Offshore
    Posts
    10,080
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    I have always wondered why parents aren't held accountable when juveniles break the law. Period.
    You might want to look. In most states, parents have civil and criminal liability for their children's acts.

  7. #7
    Senior Member bae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Offshore
    Posts
    10,080
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    That seems to be not in the spirit of Western law.. I mean, in North Korea they hold generations accountable for something a 5th generation ancestor did. I don’t think that’s a good direction to go in.
    There's that whole "corruption of blood" clause in the Constitution even.

  8. #8
    Simpleton Alan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    8,355
    Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    There's that whole "corruption of blood" clause in the Constitution even.
    Yes, but that Civil War era clause dealt exclusively with treason and was limited to forfeiture of estates and I believe one generation of enforcement. It seems to be rather knee jerk to me even though it's not nearly as onerous as its English common law cousin.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    7,143
    I think thereís a difference between holding parents responsible for any action a minor child commits, and extreme negligence in allowing them access to weapons and ignoring obvious signs of mental disease.

    I think the latter is legitimate because it focuses on the parentsí actions or inaction. The former blanket liability is not. Iíve seen some pretty decent people produce pretty depraved offspring, and vice versa. For the same reason, I donít accept that one generation or race can be held responsible for the actions of their ancestors or even by non-ancestors who simply look like them.

  10. #10
    Senior Member iris lilies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Always logged in
    Posts
    20,718
    Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I'll be curious to see what facts develop. The news coverage seems a bit breathless.
    And now the parents are on the lam. All the media will love this, Following Bonnie and Clyde in Michigan, breathlessly as you say.


    Maybe the parents are just on the down low for a moment while they gather their resources and get a really good attorney.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •