Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oakland Co, MI show trial

Oakland Co, MI show trial

I listened to Oakland County’s prosecutor detail the charges against the school shooter’s parents in Michigan. They are charged on four counts of involuntary manslaughter.

When you listen to the disregard of the parents for their sons’s involvement in gun use, and hear the very strong action of the school in alerting these parents to the danger of their son—these charges are not too strong. Probably, legally, this is all she could do, the prosecutor I mean.

Here I am all for a big show trial that causes the parents as much pain as possible, as much financial hardship as possible. Don’t plead this one out.

Perhaps other facts will come to light later that tell their story in a more sympathetic way, but I’m going to be skeptical.

I suppose it differs by state, but is there a difference between manslaughter and criminally negligent homicide?

I'll be curious to see what facts develop. The news coverage seems a bit breathless.

I have always wondered why parents aren't held accountable when juveniles break the law. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    I have always wondered why parents aren't held accountable when juveniles break the law. Period.
    You mean, holding parents accountable for things they dont do?

You mean, holding people accountable for committing crimes they don’t commit?

That seems to be not in the spirit of Western law.. I mean, in North Korea they hold generations accountable for something a 5th generation ancestor did. I don’t think that’s a good direction to go in.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    You might want to look. In most states, parents have civil and criminal liability for their children's acts.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    That seems to be not in the spirit of Western law.. I mean, in North Korea they hold generations accountable for something a 5th generation ancestor did. I don’t think that’s a good direction to go in.
    There's that whole "corruption of blood" clause in the Constitution even.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    There's that whole "corruption of blood" clause in the Constitution even.
    Yes, but that Civil War era clause dealt exclusively with treason and was limited to forfeiture of estates and I believe one generation of enforcement. It seems to be rather knee jerk to me even though it's not nearly as onerous as its English common law cousin.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I think there’s a difference between holding parents responsible for any action a minor child commits, and extreme negligence in allowing them access to weapons and ignoring obvious signs of mental disease.

I think the latter is legitimate because it focuses on the parents’ actions or inaction. The former blanket liability is not. I’ve seen some pretty decent people produce pretty depraved offspring, and vice versa. For the same reason, I don’t accept that one generation or race can be held responsible for the actions of their ancestors or even by non-ancestors who simply look like them.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I'll be curious to see what facts develop. The news coverage seems a bit breathless.
    And now the parents are on the lam. All the media will love this, Following Bonnie and Clyde in Michigan, breathlessly as you say.

Maybe the parents are just on the down low for a moment while they gather their resources and get a really good attorney.

Thread Information