Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: toddler fun box?

toddler fun box?

Help me think of some fun things to add to my 3yo grand-twins fun box for Christmas. DD tells me they prefer playing with regular stuff vs commercial toys so I want to put together a box of items to encourage creativity and maybe a few laughs. Magnifiying glass, dollar store kitchen stuff, whoopee cushion...Any ideas?

Oh, fun!

i got nuthin. But they will like whatever you send.

I would just springboard off of their personalities. My 3 y.o. and 2 y.o. grandkids were coming up for dinner, and DH and I happened to be at the dollar store. As it turned out, they were selling a "Paw Patrol" car, and they also had a little plush doggie and doggie carrier with grooming things. My 3 y.o. grandson LOVES Paw Patrol, and my 2 y.o. granddaughter LOVES animals, so these cheap toys were a no-brainer. They were a real hit!

I have a 3 y.o. GS who loves worms and nature, so I've bought him little explorer things, like binoculars and magnifying glasses and little plastic boxes for bugs. My 7 y.o. loves to build things, so Legos are good or anything STEM related.

But I love your list. You are definitely on the right track! DH likes the real cheap stuff, like lollipops, balsa gliders, kites. His latest hit was a pair of "flying chickens"
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Maybe some plastic kitchen utensils, small plastic bowl, cup, etc.

I always remember those big pop-beads and wooden blocks/lincoln logs - just stuff to build and stack. Then throw in a few little cars to drive around the buildings they create.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    Maybe some plastic kitchen utensils, small plastic bowl, cup, etc.
    Our three-year-old nephew was super into his play kitchen at age 3.It wasn’t a gendered
    toy because that was a house full of boys.

This three-year-old nephew grew up to be a chemical engineer so apparently he was always interested in chemical reactions starting with those in the kitchen.

Hand puppets? popsicle sticks to stack? Things with different textures like sponge, fur, silk?
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I am having a flashback to Putt Putt's, however, you already mentioned one thing that I have always seen kids have fun with (from my generation on), and that is the boxes the stuff comes in. (large appliance box for fort, etc)
    At 3, I would say they are too small for Lego's, but there used to be larger building blocks for smaller kids.

Duplo blocks are the bigger ones for smaller kids.

I made a “Busy Box” - a small 8x8 plastic box with a handle that opened like a clam shell. We started with fat crayons in lots of colors and I cut 8.5 x11 colored papers into fourths, added some dollar store stencils, and 2 tiny dinosaurs. Those dinosaurs drew and colored and narrated their creations for many, many years, keeping grands and guests busy creating.

Thread Information