Page 53 of 60 FirstFirst ... 3435152535455 ... LastLast

Thread: Whiney Whine

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Nearly naked drag activities? What kind of drag queens are you hanging out with?
    Not me but in Canada:

https://www.christianheadlines.com/b...rag-queen.html

In the US:

https://www.chicoer.com/2022/06/24/l...place-for-kids

In Texas:

https://en-volve.com/2022/06/05/outr...d-drag-queens/

I had no idea Christina Aguilera was a drag queen. And all the pics I've seen of the texas drag show in question had performers who were wearing way more clothes than a cheerleader at a football game. Considering the popularity of football in texas I wonder why conservative parents aren't getting all butthurt about that since far more children are exposed to cheerleaders than to drag queens.

I had no idea Christina Aguilera was a drag queen. And all the pics I've seen of the texas drag show in question had performers who were wearing way more clothes than a cheerleader at a football game.
    I've never seen a cheerleader perform while wearing a strap-on.

Serious question: What is the purpose of drag queen shows for kids? Is it just an attempt to normalize a *lifestyle* for future generations or is it a promotion of a lifestyle children may never have experienced, or perhaps both?

*Note I call it a lifestyle because I'm under the impression drag queens aren't necessarily trans or even gay. You can correct me on that if I'm wrong.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post

Serious question: What is the purpose of drag queen shows for kids? Is it just an attempt to normalize a *lifestyle* for future generations or is it a promotion of a lifestyle children may never have experienced, or perhaps both?

*Note I call it a lifestyle because I'm under the impression drag queens aren't necessarily trans or even gay. You can correct me on that if I'm wrong.
    Introducing a career aspiration.

IMO it's just an opportunity for adults to play dress up and for kids to enjoy the costumes. A library gimmick, maybe, but harmless.

what earthly difference could that possibly make? Cheerleaders performing in skimpy outfits is definitely never necessary. I don't see the difference here. One serves the patriarchy. Well yes ..

well it's hard to say it does any harm either way.

I happened to find myself at a pride event recently at a community center (kind of checked it out because I was there, I wasn't specifically planning it), me and my cis male. There was a straight couple with kids, probably good liberals. Some youth. My congressperson making an appearance ha. There was no nudity or anything of the sort. So parents bring kids to a bar are like the links. I mean a bar, hell-o, since when it that supposed to be guaranteed to be family friendly in the U.S. (I mean some bars might okay-ish but you really have to know what you are getting into). And it is exposing kids to a lifestyle of alcohol use.
    Trees don't grow on money

I believe you are correct. My father helped manage the Palm Springs Follies for many years, and many of the performers were men in drag, and those performers were not necessarily gay, or trans. They were however required to be 55+ years old, that was the main schtick of the theatrical company.

https://www.highonadventure.com/hoa1...gs_follies.htm

Some of the east coast universities also have theatrical companies that have "drag" performers:

https://paw.princeton.edu/article/tradition-tradition

And we won't talk about what happens in the Bohemian Club at the Grove...

What is the purpose of cheerleaders? Is it to normalize a *lifestyle* for future generations, encouraging kids to think it's normal to have a sexualized side attraction at an event where boys/men chase an odd-shaped little ball around a field knocking other people over and giving them concussions?

Or why don't we talk about Hooters? There are 16 Hooters in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. They all allow children in what is definitely a sexualized environment unlike drag queen story hour. Far more grooming is going on there but I don't hear the anti-gay assholes screeching about that.

What is the purpose of cheerleaders? Is it to normalize a *lifestyle* for future generations, encouraging kids to think it's normal to have a sexualized side attraction at an event where boys/men chase an odd-shaped little ball around a field knocking other people over and giving them concussions?

Or why don't we talk about Hooters? There are 16 Hooters in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. They all allow children in what is definitely a sexualized environment unlike drag queen story hour. Far more grooming is going on there but I don't hear the anti-gay assholes screeching about that.
    Or why don't we talk about the Catholic Church...?

Some good points here. We seem to accept things we grew up with as "normal" without giving any thought to them. If we looked at many of our cultural events and traditions through a different lens, perhaps we'd be less quick to deride OTHER people's events/traditions. Ex: does it GET any creepier and more groomer-esque than Santa Claus? Old man wants kids to sit on his lap for candy while promising them all sorts of goodies they likely won't get? Personally, I prefer Drag Queen Story Hour! YMMV

Thread Information