Page 35 of 59 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast
Results 341 to 350 of 585

Thread: Whiney Whine

  1. #341
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    9,458
    If we had an extremely high risk threat like airborne ebola var 2 circulating or something, we would not be able to deal with it because of how the ability to deal with pandemic protections have been weakened by all those trying to weaken pandemic protections, not because say my governor decides to drop mask protection now (I disagree with it, but if that's all it was, mandates could come and go), but rather because how it is has been litigated and propagandized. I didn't help that along, ahem did you? Haha. It's not the beginning of a dictatorship, it's the end of even trying to act collectively to deal with public health problems. For the rest of my life it's going to be every person for themselves in a pandemic, I can only hope I don't live long enough to see another pandemic but with conditions as they are we are almost bound to. Until then I take care of #1 (which is frankly exactly what I do when I wear an N95). Climate change is another one of those collective action problems. I'm not saying it would all be hard, full electrification of power would probably do a lot for instance but it's a collective action problem, it's not about me, me, me.
    Trees don't grow on money

  2. #342
    Senior Member jp1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    8,302
    Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    I am not opposed to nudity. People on Nantucket are now working to allow women to go topless since men can. (And there are guys with real man boobs out there.)

    .
    Going topless isnít nudity. One is still wearing more clothes than the harmless piece of cloth that makes up a face mask.

  3. #343
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    5,413
    Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    If we had an extremely high risk threat like airborne ebola var 2 circulating or something, we would not be able to deal with it because of how the ability to deal with pandemic protections have been weakened by all those trying to weaken pandemic protections, not because say my governor decides to drop mask protection now (I disagree with it, but if that's all it was, mandates could come and go), but rather because how it is has been litigated and propagandized. I didn't help that long, ahem did you? Haha. It's not the beginning of a dictatorship, it's the end of even trying to act collectively to deal with public health problems. For the rest of my life it's going to be every person for themselves in a pandemic, I can only hope I don't live long enough to see another pandemic but with conditions as they are we are almost bound to. Until then take care of #1 (which is frankly exactly what I do when I wear an N95). Climate change is another one of those collective action problems. I'm not saying it would all be hard, full electrification of power would probably do a lot for instance but it's a collective action problem, it's not about me, me, me.
    It's interesting how the "me, me, me" is showing up with regards to covid, yet in another thread, it seems the achievement of true happiness in aging is establishing positive and fulfilling relationships with others.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

  4. #344
    Senior Member Yppej's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    8,262
    Do as I say or I will fine you.

    Do as I say or I will freeze your bank accounts.

    Do as I say or I will deplatform you.

    Do as I say or I will label you selfish.

    Do as I say or you will lose your job.

    Do as I say or you'll be sent home from school.

    There is only one way - my way.

    If you disagree you are a right wing nutcase - just like all those folks in Scandinavia who've given up covid restrictions. I mean, Denmark is a hotbed of the radical right, isn't it?

  5. #345
    Senior Member Ultralight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    10,216
    Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    If we had an extremely high risk threat like airborne ebola var 2 circulating or something, we would not be able to deal with it because of how the ability to deal with pandemic protections have been weakened by all those trying to weaken pandemic protections, not because say my governor decides to drop mask protection now (I disagree with it, but if that's all it was, mandates could come and go), but rather because how it is has been litigated and propagandized. I didn't help that along, ahem did you? Haha. It's not the beginning of a dictatorship, it's the end of even trying to act collectively to deal with public health problems. For the rest of my life it's going to be every person for themselves in a pandemic, I can only hope I don't live long enough to see another pandemic but with conditions as they are we are almost bound to. Until then I take care of #1 (which is frankly exactly what I do when I wear an N95). Climate change is another one of those collective action problems. I'm not saying it would all be hard, full electrification of power would probably do a lot for instance but it's a collective action problem, it's not about me, me, me.
    I also wear N95 just for my own safety. Even the people at risk who I can about are on Team F*ck It.

    Every day fewer and fewer people are on Team Lock Down, or as I now call it, Team Everybody Turns Except Me. TETEM!

  6. #346
    Senior Member Ultralight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    10,216
    Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    It's interesting how the "me, me, me" is showing up with regards to covid, yet in another thread, it seems the achievement of true happiness in aging is establishing positive and fulfilling relationships with others.
    No offense, but I think the point was that in a situation where the group is not able to be organized into doing the best thing for everyone, the smart person in that group looks for what he or she can do.

    If the collective is in chaos, perhaps an individual must disregard the group's interest and find the best individual solution.

    For me, that is masking like a champ and staying away from people.

  7. #347
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    5,413
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    No offense, but I think the point was that in a situation where the group is not able to be organized into doing the best thing for everyone, the smart person in that group looks for what he or she can do.

    If the collective is in chaos, perhaps an individual must disregard the group's interest and find the best individual solution.

    For me, that is masking like a champ and staying away from people.
    I didn't express myself well - sorry.

    I agree that the smart person looks to see what they can do - and should accept the REAL reason they are choosing to do what they do. The "me, me, me" reference was re: those individuals who are more concerned with themselves than are concerned with other people and themselves. Yet in the other thread, happiness in aging was said to be found in relationship to others. In my opinion, a "me, me, me" attitude does not seem to go hand-in-hand with developing good/lasting relationships with others.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

  8. #348
    Senior Member Ultralight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    10,216
    Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    I didn't express myself well - sorry.

    I agree that the smart person looks to see what they can do - and should accept the REAL reason they are choosing to do what they do. The "me, me, me" reference was re: those individuals who are more concerned with themselves than are concerned with other people and themselves. Yet in the other thread, happiness in aging was said to be found in relationship to others. In my opinion, a "me, me, me" attitude does not seem to go hand-in-hand with developing good/lasting relationships with others.
    I think a big reason many people are unhappy is that they are profoundly mentally ill. Sure, there are many reasons for their mental illness -- some broad issues like propaganda or culture of overwork or our crappy social safety net. There are some individual things, like personal tragedies. Take depression or anxiety disorders. Very widespread. Think about B Cluster personality disorders. Approximately 1 in 20 women in America have BPD. I strongly suspect one on this forum has it based on her posts, but just sheer numbers almost guarantees that some folks on this forum have major Depressive Disorder or Borderline Personality Disorder or a myriad of others. Just like Gen Pop!

    People are crazy, and it makes them unhappy.

  9. #349
    Senior Member Yppej's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    8,262
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    I think a big reason many people are unhappy is that they are profoundly mentally ill. Sure, there are many reasons for their mental illness -- some broad issues like propaganda or culture of overwork or our crappy social safety net. There are some individual things, like personal tragedies. Take depression or anxiety disorders. Very widespread. Think about B Cluster personality disorders. Approximately 1 in 20 women in America have BPD. I strongly suspect one on this forum has it based on her posts, but just sheer numbers almost guarantees that some folks on this forum have major Depressive Disorder or Borderline Personality Disorder or a myriad of others. Just like Gen Pop!

    People are crazy, and it makes them unhappy.
    Wow. Just wow. The majority of people in Florida, Texas, South Carolina, etc are mentally ill?

    The majority of people in Europe where children were never masked in school are mentally ill?

    Talk about psychological projection!

  10. #350
    Senior Member iris lilies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Always logged in
    Posts
    21,964
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    I think a big reason many people are unhappy is that they are profoundly mentally ill. Sure, there are many reasons for their mental illness -- some broad issues like propaganda or culture of overwork or our crappy social safety net. There are some individual things, like personal tragedies. Take depression or anxiety disorders. Very widespread. Think about B Cluster personality disorders. Approximately 1 in 20 women in America have BPD. I strongly suspect one on this forum has it based on her posts, but just sheer numbers almost guarantees that some folks on this forum have major Depressive Disorder or Borderline Personality Disorder or a myriad of others. Just like Gen Pop!

    People are crazy, and it makes them unhappy.
    to be very clear, BPD is Borderline Personality Disorder, right?

    I ask because the acronym also hits bipolar disorder.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •