Page 58 of 60 FirstFirst ... 8485657585960 LastLast

Thread: Whiney Whine

Do you have any particular towns or cities you're attracted to in the "Live Free Or Die" state?

Here's a list of affordable cities according to home prices to income ratios

https://www.newhomesource.com/learn/...new-hampshire/
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Yppej
    I am looking for a town, since most of the cities had municipal mask mandates at one time. Cheshire County is my target area as it would be a similar or better commute for me.

Taxes are lower and there is a co-op for electric and broadband further north, but that would not be commuting distance for me. It could work down the road when I retire.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    I am looking for a town, since most of the cities had municipal mask mandates at one time. Cheshire County is my target area as it would be a similar or better commute for me.

Taxes are lower and there is a co-op for electric and broadband further north, but that would not be commuting distance for me. It could work down the road when I retire.
    I don’t know how it works out in your part of the country, but in my part of the country you would want an unincorporated area. The county isn’t going to put mask mandates in place in rural areas for the most part. But then, with unincorporated comes big plots of land that makes an expensive property, and you don’t need acreage.

I don’t see why you’d be basing your search on what town once had a mask mandate. But whatever. I do think that this sort of thing would be less likely in the “ live free or die “state.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 8-1-22 at 6:47pm.

Yppej
    The main reason I want to move is so I can live free of government mandates that infringe on my bodily integrity.

I am not aware of any unincorporated areas in either MA or NH.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    The main reason I want to move is so I can live free of government mandates that infringe on my bodily integrity.

I am not aware of any unincorporated areas in either MA or NH.
    wait…ya’ll do not have unincorporated areas? We may be having a problem with the terminology you and I are using.

In my part of the world, and granted this is flyover country so there’s minimal government restrictions in some of these places, there is no municipality covering much of the real estate.

For instance if I live in a specific place outside of any municipality the only government I have to answer to is the county. And in many cases the county has lax restrictions in whatever. But all of them have a building code of some sort. For instance.

Are you saying that every place in your area is under jurisdiction of a municipality IN ADDITION to a county government.?

If that is the case whoa Nelly, get out of there.

Yppej
    We have villages within cities and towns with their own zip code, but they are still under the government of their parent, not the county. In Mass counties have been largely abolished - only exist for courts and jails.

NH has a few unincorporated places in the far northern mountains. The most famous is Dixville Notch. That is not the part of the state I am looking at.

If you really want to be free you should move to the unorganized borough in Alaska. Roughly half the land in the state doesn’t have the equivalent of counties so the only governmental entity in control is the state.

Yppej
    The cost of living is too high in Alaska. And I like my job and want to stay within commuting distance of it. That limits me to Massachusetts, New Hampshire or Vermont, and New Hampshire is the freest of the three.

In that list I posted of affordable towns in NH, Keene is in the county you're targeting. Is that too far northwest for you? Also, how far are you willing to travel for shopping, etc. I am in a rural area, but being only 30 minutes from "civilization" is great. I don't think I'd be able to live out in the boonies in a strict sense. And how far are you willing to travel to work?
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Yppej
    I am willing to go 1 hour to work as I am now, though would prefer closer. Shopping distance is not a big deal.

Keene State College has lobbied the City to impose their wokeness, with resulting mask mandates among other things.

Thread Information