Thread: Supplies for the college-bound?

Supplies for the college-bound?

Trying to think of some Christmas and birthday gifts for DGS who is heading to college in 2022.
    I would appreciate ideas on what would be needed or useful for today's college student. The world has changed so much with technology since my kids went to college.

So far I have a chargeable spotlight that will flash, some socks but little else. His parents know his size and preferences for clothes so leaving that to them. I will give him some money for both Christmas and his birthday but it is nice to open up gifts on the occasion. Gift cards have been my choice over the past couple of years but it seemed wise to see if there might ideas for gifting for the next stage in his life in post-secondary.

Any advice and suggestions appreciated.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

How about a backpack? Then fill it (somewhat) with doodads like USB drives, mechanical pencils, sticky notes, extra sheets or a light blanket, gift cards to his school bookstore, etc. Noise canceling headphones might be helpful.

I returned to college late in life and my co-workers gave me a send-off gift of a filled backpack. It was thoughtful and I still use it now for camping and dayhikes.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

They make some pretty fancy insulated mugs these days, like the Yeti brand. Caffeine was a mainstay in my days. Or a small Leatherman tool for a basic pocket sized tool box.

Warm boots and cash.

For more than 20 winters I have worn a pair of Thinsulate-lined "Prospector Cold Weather Original" Gore-Tex boots which I am pretty sure were made in Canada. Every year I treat them with mink oil when we get the first snowfall. They fit like a glove. The Vibram sole is marked with a Maple Leaf and "120 plus Prospector". (I don't know if these boots are still made.)

Hydro Flask is cheaper than Yeti and still work wonderfully. I use them daily. Maybe a matched pair. One for coffee and one for water.

Some sort of snacks. Quarters for laundry unless the laundry room takes some sort of cards.

Extra battery pack for phone for when on the go.

I think it also depends the type of school living the student will be in... dorm, private off-campus renting, commuting, etc. Most dorm rooms have beds that risers can be used to create more space and rolling drawers usually fit under nicely, etc. Off campus renting would mean some "home" type items being needed like dishes, food, etc. Commuting usually means cash for gas!! LOL. Getting more details on the type of college life that will be lived should help with selecting some items.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

A 3-qt Instant pot, an electric kettle, and a case of Indomie or the equivalent.

After talking to his mother, I decided to focus on what would fit and be needed on his desk aside from his computer whichever school setting arrangement that he might be attending. Thanks for the ideas.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Thread Information