Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Moving abroad to a cheaper country?

Moving abroad to a cheaper country?

We’ve had a few threads over the years discussing the idea of retiring abroad to a low cost of living country. But never one about currently employed people. Then this weekend I read this article about Buenos Aires efforts to attract remote workers and I was intrigued. Top notch steak dinners for $18? Fancy lattes for $1? Nice weather? Cosmopolitan city? Sign me up. Unfortunately SO can’t do the remote work thing. So I will undoubtedly let this opportunity go. But it’s an interesting idea for the right person.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...remote-workers

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    We’ve had a few threads over the years discussing the idea of retiring abroad to a low cost of living country. But never one about currently employed people. Then this weekend I read this article about Buenos Aires efforts to attract remote workers and I was intrigued. Top notch steak dinners for $18? Fancy lattes for $1? Nice weather? Cosmopolitan city? Sign me up. Unfortunately SO can’t do the remote work thing. So I will undoubtedly let this opportunity go. But it’s an interesting idea for the right person.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...remote-workers
    Any chance that down the road the "this opportunity" would be desaparecido?

The political situation in South American countries would discourage me especially as I grew older. It is not primarily about costs but security and services now and in the future is my thinking
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Apart from the occasional currency collapse, the idea has merit. Even if you’re paid in USD, a lot of that cheap stuff can get hard to find. Ultimately, you can’t devalue your way to prosperity.

I know people who’ve done this in the Philippines, but they had family ties to the country and spoke the local language.

I'm in a spouse caregiver group on FB. Several of the folks there have moved to Ajijic, Mexico. They're able to place their spouses in a clean, caring facility and they can rent an apartment and live all for a couple thousand a month. I'm intrigued.
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

I have been looking seriously at Canada, Norway, Iceland, England, Scotland, Ireland, and will be investigating Uruguay once Covid calms down some more. My partner is making some sound proposals for France or Italy, again though Covid is in the way of R&D.

Canada would be logistically simplest, the UK or Scandinavia would put me closer to my dear daughter in the coming years.

I have been having to do some legal stuff at work, that should have been done, LONG time ago. Original partner in the business, was bought out in the first year, after not being open long, not having the debt paid off and looking at Rolex watches, because he was a business owner.
    He almost never kept a job long enough to have a retirement, and he took a LOT of good jobs where he could have had a good retirement. He expected to live high on the hog off his parents money. (his father actually helped the business out once, and was paid back). His parents lived too long and went through it, and he blew what he did have waiting for them to die (pulling it out and paying the 0% taxes). Then towards his parents end he got a divorce.

Somehow he ended up "on a missions trip" for a church, so the church would pay his expenses to live in some country in Africa. I figure the next time I see his ex, or his daughter, it will be interesting to see if, like I suspect, he has had a falling out with the church, because they won't pay for his livelihood.

I am now over my vague interest in moving abroad to live.

We went as far as we could go in getting DH Swiss citizenship. It isn’t doable because they require he speak more of the language than he speaks. His mother is from Switzerland and there was a program factoring in her children. I didn’t want to live in Switzerland, but that would have been an EU passport to live many places. Probably we wouldn’t have been there for very long, though, just some years.

If I were younger, I'd emigrate in a heartbeat. I considered moving to Canada when I retired; I should have followed through. Cost wasn't a consideration.

Thread Information