Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hello from an Oldie-Newbie?!?

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    So attempted contact, as compared to actual. LOL
    No, it was actual contact. Since I didn't have his contact info I put in a request at GoDaddy, where the old domain name is registered, and provided them with my contact info to be passed along to the domain owner. He then contacted me within just a matter of hours, I suspect in hopes of negotiating some sort of ongoing income stream for rights, although he then didn't seem particularly interested in my offer, at least not enough to reply.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Welcome back, Spicy Brains Girl!

Earlier ideas (or dreams, if you prefer) of a simple dwelling on a beautiful piece of land are good to have, like a box of old recipes.

These days I am happy where I am, but I see the forecast for 3-6 inches of snow and an 18 mph wind. I will need to hunker down on Friday and Saturday while the weather is inhospitable.

Sometimes I think I would gladly swap out of my house in the Northern Highlands of Wisconsin for a unit in an intergenerational co-housing project, such as Quimper Village in Port Townsend WA... or many others. Of course the chemistry with the residents of the cohousing project would have to be acceptable. It is good to have a Plan B.

We had snow all day yesterday and it was 10 degrees when we walked the dogs this morning.
    I really wonder if this is sustainable for us, long term.

Hi Spicey Brain Girl, I do remember your name if not your posts. Welcome back!

I noticed that the permies.com website forum has posters seeking homesteading opportunities.

My mom had a similar dream about 20 years ago. They wanted to be as self sufficient on their property as possible. They still live on a farm in northern VA. Their house is a round house which was made to withstand 100 plus MPH winds from hurricanes or tornadoes, they have a well with a pump in the yard for when they lose electricity, solar panels to provide about 40% of their electricity, and they live as much as they can off their land. While it all sounds great in theory, it's actually quite expensive. They have done an excellent job of making this work for them for the past 20 plus years but she has often said they bit off more than they could chew.

The cost of the solar replacement and batteries, the farm equipment breaking down, the propane tanks, cistern and water management system, growing and maintaining the foods and plants on the property, etc. It's more than a full time job. But, it was their dream and I love hearing about it because it was what they wanted. I have always told her I would rather live off the grid, but still have the ability to go shopping, lol!

I am a fan of less work in retirement. I also don’t enjoy gardening, etc and I don’t like small towns. I lived in one for 2 years in a rural area. It was a beautiful area in upstate New York. The amount of snow was incredible and I was used to Wisconsin.

Which style round house?
    Monolithic dome, straw bale, earthship, yurt, etc?

Thread Information