Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Getting older and what is "home"

The first time I looked out over Puget Sound, I was enchanted--there's something about large bodies of water that gets me every time.

I felt most at home in Seattle but that was years ago and in good weather (haha).
    Trees don't grow on money

Whenever I have a dream where I'm inside a house, it's my childhood home which I haven't lived in since I turned 19.

On the other discussion, I lived for one year in the Tampa region. I loved it. I lived 7 minutes from the beach. I didn't have any family there and I think for the first time in my life I felt like I was being myself and who I wanted to be.

I had to move back to WA for family reasons. When I boarded the plane on my last day in Florida, something, I suppose grief, suddenly ----and with no way to control it---came over me and I sat in my seat and sobbed. I sobbed harder than I've ever remembered sobbing. The attendants were really concerned. I simply could not stop and the only thing I can say is that I think in the context of this post, is that I felt at home there. Which is really weird now that I think about it because I'm a diehard Pac NW-er normally.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

I love big bodies of water so always felt at home in Kenosha. I feel the same about Reno because of the mountains. When I need water I go to Lake Tahoe. I never felt at home in Kansas either time because it was much harder to find my tribe there.

Mine was when I vacationed in a small cabin on Chincoteague Island. It was calming, comfortable, walkable, etc. But it was also off-season for tourists and I know that there are some peak "mob" times on the island... i.e. annual pony roundup.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

I’m at home in the Midwest. I would like upper or lower Midwest but I’m as low as I want to go. I’m sure I would also love New England. Winters anywhere North of Interstate 80 are a big NO for me now.

When I lived in New Mexico it was like always being in a foreign country. It was an intriguing foreign country, but not at home.

I always thought I would like the western part of the Pacific Northwest, but now I’m not so sure. Tthere’s tons of trees and rain, or else it is a bit desert-y. And there appears to be very little architecture and I know we’ve had this conversation before but it’s just a land of Ranchettes.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I’m at home in the Midwest. I would like upper or lower Midwest but I’m as low as I want to go. I’m sure I would also love New England. Winters anywhere North of Interstate 80 are a big NO for me now.

When I lived in New Mexico it was like always being in a foreign country. It was an intriguing foreign country, but not at home.

I always thought I would like the western part of the Pacific Northwest, but now I’m not so sure. Tthere’s tons of trees and rain, or else it is a bit desert-y. And there appears to be very little architecture and I know we’ve had this conversation before but it’s just a land of Ranchettes.
    The ranchettes are in the suburbs. There is a lot of lovely turn of the century housing in town. I know I've shown you pictures of some of the ones I grew up with.

Quote Originally Posted by KayLR View Post
    Whenever I have a dream where I'm inside a house, it's my childhood home which I haven't lived in since I turned 19.
    Me too!!! I've been living in my current home for 16 years now and lived the first 40 years somewhere else. But all my dreams take place in that house, even though it's sometimes located here.

I always felt at home in London. In fact, tourists would often ask me for directions, thinking I lived there, and then be surprised when they heard my American accent. For several years my sister lived in California and I never felt like I belonged there. A long time ago a psychic told me that if I ever visited Ireland I'd be someplace that felt familiar, like I'd lived there before in another life. I like places with scenic views of land and mountains. My area of NW NJ is beautiful, with mountains and farmland all around me.

I grew up in a leafy old suburb of San Antonio so I am always drawn to older neighborhoods with lots of trees. Old Spanish style stucco homes with courtyards and patios. I wouldn't say that such places feel like home but familiar and comforting. Then again, once the mountains get under your skin...

Thread Information