Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: replacement windows

I see a lot if Jeld-wen wood windows around my neighborhood.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
    Imagine a wall of windows with no where to look and the lot next door is not theirs.
    DW would love to put more windows into this house. What stops us is the money and the fact that there is no view here worth bigger/more windows. They exist in this city, but not on this lot.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by nswef View Post
    Steve, How did you check on insulating the top of the walls?
    Xcel Energy (our local energy provider) offers free energy audits for air infiltration/heat loss/inefficient heaters/lack of insulation, etc. We paid extra for the "blower door test" which forces air through your house to identify what areas are experiencing the biggest thermal change.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    I got a higher grade vinyl and as far as my tastes go they look fine after maybe 10 years of Colorado weather. One thing that was disappointing was that the vinyl frame takes up about 2 inches more window space on each side than the original. So the window open is smaller. I've see ads for more modern thin frames.
    Some windows are designed to drop into the existing opening after the house is completed; those typically have less glass area than the kind where they have to take the old window out completely to fit the new one in.

It also is true that some window brands use thicker frames -- and that, sometimes, even the size of the window has a stake in it (biiiiig windows need a sturdier frame to keep from bowing over time). Our neighbors replace all their windows in one shot with "replacement" windows and the loss of light from the smaller panes of glass is apparent. We did not make that mistake when our turn came ('course, it cost more $$$ too).

Thanks, Steve. I'm am thinking of getting that energy audit the Elec. Co. offers- I think the one is $100 and the person is local- fairly. I don't like smaller window panes either. That was the main reason I didn't want all new. big decisions and "How long will you be living here?" questions.

Thread Information