Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What is reality?

We HOPE we are living in a simulation maybe. The scary part is we might not be, and this might actually be real!
    Trees don't grow on money

Yppej
    Reality is what the medical pharma military governmental industrial complex tells you it is, and don't you dare question it or you will be disparaged as a Russian troll.

I really liked “A Beginner’s Guide to Reality” by Jim Baggott. It’s a fun read.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Reality is what the medical pharma military governmental industrial complex tells you it is, and don't you dare question it or you will be disparaged as a Russian troll.

Bae, I love the troll! Yes, I’ve seen it in person.

Very near to Lenin and a missile. That VW is looking the worse for wear. Fremont has a vibe.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    I routinely listen to the Sam Harris podcast, making sense, which covers different topics, but centers on philisophy and the mind. Might not be what you're looking for but I like it. He's somewhat renowned in his field.

https://www.samharris.org/podcasts/m...sense-episodes
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I listened recently to a couple of the free parts of Sam Harris podcasts, but you have to subscribe to hear the entire thing.
    IL, I just finished reading the "whiny whine" thread and was wishing the whole time that more people could listen to Sam Harris's latest podcast
    https://www.samharris.org/podcasts/m...m-the-pandemic

Since he regards this one as a PSA, you can listen to at least the first hour. It's definitely a help in maintaining one's grip on the reality of Covid.

I have been reading Why We Sleep, a book about sleep by a guy who has sudied it for decades. Well reviewed and popular. He writes about how the brain waves during REM sleep, the time when we dream, are very similar to our waking brain waves. He also gets into lucid dreaming a little bit where we can direct or control dreams. It sort of make you wonder about the reality we have in our dream state, a mostly black hole of forgetfulness when we're awake. Two concepts of reality that are not very aware of each other, and who's to say one is real and the other not.

I supose sci-fi has covered variations of the story, some possibly belivable.

Quote Originally Posted by Simone View Post
    IL, I just finished reading the "whiny whine" thread and was wishing the whole time that more people could listen to Sam Harris's latest podcast
    https://www.samharris.org/podcasts/m...m-the-pandemic

Since he regards this one as a PSA, you can listen to at least the first hour. It's definitely a help in maintaining one's grip on the reality of Covid.
    Yes,I really like that one.

Thread Information