Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Build Back Better Busted

I think the Dems are better with BBB tanked than agreeing with Manchin's demands. Yes some things are even worse than nothing. We don't need a coal barron in charge of clean energy or climate policy.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post

Another out of curiosity question, If the Senate Energy Committee doesn't have influence over clean energy standards, which one should?
    There's no reason, other than manchin's desire to keep coal relevant for as long as he can, that ONLY the senate ENR committee should be responsible. Surely environment and public works is also relevant, not to mention the House's ENR committee as well as the House's Energy and Commerce committee. And perhaps even some input should come from the EPA. To leave all decisions regarding climate change energy standards in the hands of a committee run by a dude who makes his living off of fossil fuels and his politcal campaigns with large contributions from fossil fuel companies and executives seems like a sure way to make sure those standards are weak at best.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    This is what I read on CNN.
    Two factors appeared to be driving Monday's losses.
    Soaring cases of the Omicron variant in Europe and the United States are already slamming businesses and forcing governments to tighten restrictions on activity at a critical time of year for the leisure and retail industries. And the prospects for the US economy dimmed after Democrat Sen. Joe Manchin said he would oppose the Biden administration's $1.75 trillion "Build Back Better" bill.

"A combination of increasing Omicron nerves, particularly in the UK and Europe, and the failure of President Biden's spending plan... has seen Asian equities head directly south in sympathy with Wall Street's Friday finish," wrote Jeffrey Halley, senior market analyst, Asia Pacific, at Oanda.

Goldman Sachs wasted no time in slashing its growth forecast for the US economy in the wake of Manchin's pronouncement on Fox News on Sunday. The Wall Street firm told clients it no longer assumes President Joe Biden's signature legislation will get through Congress.
    Citing the "apparent demise" of Build Back Better, Goldman Sachs now expects US GDP to grow at an annualized pace of 2% in the first quarter, down from 3% previously.
    I've never been sure of what drivers actually affect the markets. If our recent swings have anything to do with the governments inability to pump another few trillion dollars into Democrats pet causes before the end of the year the market must have forgotten about it today. The Dow is currently up 525 over yesterdays close, the NASDAQ is up 340, the NYSE is up 300 and the S&P is up 75. The market doesn't close for another hour or so but it looks like todays gains will more than make up for yesterdays losses. I can't explain why.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    There's no reason, other than manchin's desire to keep coal relevant for as long as he can, that ONLY the senate ENR committee should be responsible. Surely environment and public works is also relevant, not to mention the House's ENR committee as well as the House's Energy and Commerce committee. And perhaps even some input should come from the EPA. To leave all decisions regarding climate change energy standards in the hands of a committee run by a dude who makes his living off of fossil fuels and his politcal campaigns with large contributions from fossil fuel companies and executives seems like a sure way to make sure those standards are weak at best.
    Maybe you should send an urgent message to the Democratic Majority Leader and ask him to strip Manchin of all committee assignments, I think that's becoming a thing these days for anyone guilty of offending liberals.
    Conversely, I guess you could also wait for another year when the Republicans re-take the Senate and perhaps we'll get someone in that position you can hate without crossing your party boundries.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Maybe you should send an urgent message to the Democratic Majority Leader and ask him to strip Manchin of all committee assignments, I think that's becoming a thing these days for anyone guilty of offending liberals.
    It seems like Trump's method of using malevolent conspiracy theories, and threats or real retributions were more effective in controlling his party's dissidents.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    It seems like Trump's method of using malevolent conspiracy theories, and threats or real retributions were more effective in controlling his party's dissidents.
    LOL, and now we have a White House that simply tells everyone that Manchin or Sinema or whoever is currently stepping outside the ruling party's ideological bubble is the reason we can't have nice things and we get the same result. These days, it seems that the more things change, the more they actually don't.

I guess so. Good point. Although Trump was a master weaver of a malevolent conspiracy theory tapestry, while Biden is merely a tailor taking in a few hems. That's politics.

Biden needs to come up with a few derogatory nicknames for Manchin to insinuate his family connection to Castro, ugliness of his wife, a cowardly POW, or JFK's assassination.

Does this bill, as some are saying, mark peak progressivism?

Goodbye FDR, welcome back Carter?

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    Biden needs to come up with a few derogatory nicknames for Manchin to insinuate his family connection to Castro, ugliness of his wife, a cowardly POW, or JFK's assassination.
    Yes, I guess if you want to emulate all of Trump's worst traits you could suggest that Biden step it up a notch, but personally I was hoping we were over that sort of thing.

Ok, I think I’m over for now, too. The conservatives even seem to have forgotten Obama these days. I was sort of in the people in glass houses theory when you were onto the liberals. There are a lot of bozos on the political busses.

Thread Information