Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Build Back Better Busted

Build Back Better Busted

I’m hearing now that Joe Manchin is saying with some finality that he can’t support the BBB “framework”. It doesn’t seem to me that there’s much hope for the complete package in 2022, and probably less so thereafter. Will they try a more piecemeal fashion, with scrutiny and votes for each proposal on its own merits? Some of the more controversial things, like lifting the SALT cap, subsidies to journalistic organizations, etc. probably won’t survive.

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    like lifting the SALT cap.
    I have seen a TV ad run a few times targeting Maggie Hassan on this issue. It features a man who is in a big house with an office where he works from home while two different tutors teach his kids from home. It says let Hassan know this guy doesn't deserve a tax break.

I doubt anyone who pays attention to these things is even slightly surprised. As often as Joe has moved the goalposts he must have had them chained to the back of his maserati. This is probably his big FU to the democrats before he becomes a republican.

IMO he is already a republican posing as a democrat.

The salt cap was just screwing with blue states. Trump screwing with blue states. And we see it and raise the finger back. Wish succession was viable but it's doesn't really seem so, but meanwhile we want to keep our tax breaks so we can fund things at the state level, since this country doesn't work at the federal level at all, I mean it just doesn't, the failure to pass BBB is just proof, well kinda the failure to pass anything in R or D administrations except Trump's tax cuts and a highway bill. Someone is going to think I'm eligible for it, lol, you are so silly, I never get almost any tax breaks, you think renters without kids are getting tax breaks galore (lol no that's everyone else but surely not that), but I like my state government well funded. But what if I bought property, oh my goodness, you think if I did I could even stretching afford anything but a cheap condo or tiny house? Yea, no those taxes are never going to apply to me.

As policy the Dems maybe should have gone with something small and popular. I'd just love to see R's oppose reducing the Medicare age to 60 or other healthcare proposals like prescription drug pricing etc. (those actually in BBB at one time, I'm not talking Medicare for All because that's not who was elected). Oh wouldn't that be a hoot to oppose something actually small and popular, at this point noone can keep track of the BBB bill.
    Trees don't grow on money

If I were Schumer I would put all the pieces of the bill that manchin whittled out before going on Republican propaganda tv today to say that he was done back in the bill. And then hold floor vote after floor vote on each item forcing manchin (and all the republicans) to publicly vote against child care credits, insulin price caps, universal pre-k, etc. Make them publicly state for all to see that they aren’t interested in all of the bipartisanly very popular aspects of the bill.

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    If I were Schumer I would put all the pieces of the bill that manchin whittled out before going on Republican propaganda tv today to say that he was done back in the bill. And then hold floor vote after floor vote on each item forcing manchin (and all the republicans) to publicly vote against child care credits, insulin price caps, universal pre-k, etc. Make them publicly state for all to see that they aren’t interested in all of the bipartisanly very popular aspects of the bill.
    +1.

Yes, there's lots of folks interested in free stuff but they've mostly forgotten about how much free stuff costs.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Yes, there's lots of folks interested in free stuff but they've mostly forgotten about how much free stuff costs.
    About the same as a tax cut for the rich and corporations. Or a few months of the annual defense budget.

I think it would be good to return to the Schoolhouse Rock version of legislation. Rather than mega bills or frameworks of concepts of mega bills drafted by a party leadership that expects their membership fall in line, debate each proposal on it’s individual merits.

Then, we can see who voted to give subsidies to media organizations or permit Medicaid dues-skimming for unions or prohibit day care funding from going to providers operating out of church basements. If some of that is truly wildly popular, there shouldn’t be a problem.

Thread Information