Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Winter Challenge

The thing with the tape and the post-it note seems to be working, so I'm OK with that solution for now. Post-it also says something like "If you are too warm, go to the dining room and turn thermostat down to 70."
    At some point, I will probably explore a smart thermostat that I can view/control via Alexa.
    Sis and I spent a few hours today decluttering the dining room and going through drawers. We have the entire back of sister's SUV filled with donations: tablecloths, cloth napkins, placemats, vases, serving platters, ice buckets, napkin rings, place cards. All the accoutrements for an alternate life that my mother is not living (and never really did as far as we can recall). Some of the stuff has clearly never been used. We could have a hell of a yard sale, but neither of us is up for that. A lot of it is really nice stuff, so we just make a point to bring it to a favored charitable thrift shop as opposed to the more convenient Savers.

Yppej
    Got the supplies for and backsplash - $8.54. It is not really what I want but it will cover up the screws in the wall above the bathroom sink. I wanted something narrower but those pieces were curved and only the edges could take adhesive and I want something flat that will adhere securely to the wall.

Now to put it up.

Also looked for a microwave at Home Depot and they had only had one countertop brand and it was junk.

I will walk four times this week.

Update below. All I have remaining is to call the plumber (for some reason I hate doing that sort of thing, and we have a great plumber, so I'm not sure why), and to finish Mom's first floor, which is progressing nicely.

• Annual culling/shredding of files- Done
    • Organize gardening & potting supplies in cellar - Done
    • Organize empty storage bins in cellar - Done (they are actually on loan right now to a friend who is moving)
    • Clean oven - Done
    • Schedule meeting with attorney to discuss some questions about matters related to Mom - Done
    • Get Alexa up and running for Mom (already got internet service activated) - Done (although it will take awhile to fully explore features and potential)
    • Investigate changing Mom's phone to Comcast from Verizon (can number stay the same?) - Done
    • Finish decluttering first floor of Mom's house - in progress. Finished dining room and started on the back porch last Sunday. Filled another box of donations.
    • Get Mom's pension form notarized - Done
    • Get a tetanus booster - Done
    • Get new eyeglasses (the ones I got a few months ago just aren't satisfactory, and since I wear my glasses all the time, I've decided that being unfrugal and buying a new pair with be worth it in terms of quality of life) - Done, and Costco replaced them at no cost; I even got a $30 credit because my new frames were less expensive!
    • Arrange for heating company to fix radiator that is producing "water hammers." (For those of you who may be unfamiliar, this is a steam heat phenomenon where water condensation doesn't drain properly and it results in a sound like someone is banging the radiator with a hammer, especially annoying when you are trying to sleep. Tried YouTube and DIY, but the problem persists) - Done
    • Arrange for plumber to fix a slowly leaking pipe and replace shutoff valve for outside water supply with a ball valve
    • I also have 4 medical appointments to schedule/reschedule - Done

As we were working in the dining room last Sunday, Mom says (not for the first time), "You know, when I die, everything I have belongs to you two girls." I responded with, "I know Mom, that's what we're afraid of, and why we want to make sure there's a lot less of it." Mom still has her sense of humor and laughed at this.

Yppej
    I put the backsplash up and expect to walk 5 times this week.

Jeppy: You've really done well with your mission to make your home a nicer place. Good for you!

Yppej
    Thanks RR. I read an article the other day about how American mobility is way down. People who want to move aren't because of things like the crazy real estate market and an increasing number of professions that require licensing at the state level. So we have to bloom where we're planted.

You are doing awesome with your list.

I have two items to complete from my list:
    Call plumber - I really need to do it this week, not out of any absolute urgency, but because I should do it, and procrastinating makes me so annoyed with myself. Plus, I cannot check it off my list until I do it!
    Mom's first floor - I'm currently working on the cellar stairwell, which is the last realm of clutter on the first floor (and boy, is there a lot of stuff crammed into that small space!) I'll admit that I've gotten sneakier about just making things disappear without consulting her. This makes me feel a bit regretful, because I always prided myself on never getting rid of anything without her OK, and that's how I built trust and one of the reasons she would let me help her with decluttering. That made sense when she had possession of her faculties, but it doesn't make as much sense now. So I don't really feel guilty; I know I'm doing the right thing, but I feel regretful that she has declined so much. I brought her a bag of documents to shred from Sis, so that kept her happily occupied. For someone who was never much for housework, the woman bought every "Magic" cleaning cloth or gadget on the market, as though merely owning these items would make the house clean, because MAGIC! We will bless some Saver's shopper with some of these magical items, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    For someone who was never much for housework, the woman bought every "Magic" cleaning cloth or gadget on the market, as though merely owning these items would make the house clean, because MAGIC! We will bless some Saver's shopper with some of these magical items, lol.
    What?!?! You mean... really????

Sigh....
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Couple of weeks from the Equinox, here's my update.

Update yarn inventory done
    Continue the book cull ongoing
    empty 3 boxes from storage unit 2 of 3
    Start on my t shirt quilt just started
    Evaluate work clothing done
    Finish the permanently packed toiletries bag done

Adding interfacing to the shirts since they're old and worn out. Donated 2 laptops and a desktop to a neighbor that repairs/updates computers and gives them to people on the wrong side of the digital divide. Counting the desktop as a 2nd box since it was in the storage unit. Parents are doing the Swedish Death cleaning thing so I will pick up some quilting supplies and do a final once over of everything I have at their place. Hope I don't get too sentimental or nostalgic. Goal is 95% of what is there goes to Goodwill. Thrift stores are starting to accept books again with limits, and I'm still giving them away via the Buy Nothing group. Husband is attending is college reunion this fall and his former roommate is a high school English teacher who will happily take any books we can give him. Former roommate is making a list and we'll put aside a couple of boxes and put in anything we have that he thinks his students will want to read.

Thread Information