Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: simplifying my digital and media world

TMS, your plate is overloaded at present so wishing for you more peaceful days ahead and resolution of the challenges.

As to the OP, I have cut back over the years and control my connection to digital media. I have no TV. Rarely look at Facebook with no other social media. I have used Facetime occasionally to connect with family and a friend during the past couple of years when covid limited in-person visits.

I get the local, national and international news and weather delivered via email at my convenience.

Love my zoom activities - exercise class, webinars for educational courses, church services, etc. Again, all these are engaged when convenient to me.

If one can find an understanding of the digital world as simply a convenient service but never a master, it is very helpful. Getting that understanding is sometimes a challenge.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

As much as technology is supposed to help, it seems often times to be a hinder. I know it is all by our own choosing. TMS, hoping you get through all of this with your sanity intact! Pinkytoe, it sounds like you have a good plan in place - good luck!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Good luck with the changes, TMS!

As a result of a few conversations with a very close friend of mine, I've decided to make a few digital/media changes, too, using the new year as a convenient starting point. My life will be much better served spending more time away from my computer so I've had to make some choices regarding where I spend my time and how much time I spend there.

I've decided to leave SLF. tbh I just have not participated much lately. This site is a fine community of people from whom I've learned a lot over the years but as I've scrolled the list of new posts over the past few months I just don't see that many that I connect even indirectly to living simply. The focus seems to have shifted, for SLF and for me. Rather than just become fodder for a future "whatever happened to..." post I will offer my many thanks for what I've learned here and to the many people I've met here, and wish you all a good year-end celebration and continued health, prosperity, and simplicity. I may check in in the future but that likely will be weeks/months away. This decision really is resonating with me. Be well.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Steve, I will miss you. I know that you know that the SLF door is always open! I wish you the best in your new endeavors. Happy Holidays and a very Happy New Year.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    Wishing you the best, TMS. You've had quite a year.
    I've found Nextdoor to be surprisingly civil, much more so that my town's many Facebook groups. Nextdoor seems a little more anonymous, covers a broader area and most people don't have profile pics, so I would have expected less civility rather than more. What I don't like about it is that my "neighborhood" seems to encompass such as vast area. I recently tweaked my newsfeed and hopefully will be seeing posts for a more limited area.
    Nextdoor has pretty much ruined itself by expanding the reach of threads to hundreds of miles away. About six months ago they introduced the option for starting
    a thread to go to “anyone “ which is the default setting. Hardly anyone who posts original threads understands that they have an option to keep the thread within their own neighborhood, or within nearby neighborhoods.

So now we have urban issues being commented on by people out in yahooville and tight-assed suburbia. I’m really not interested in their opinions which inevitably come down to “ well what can you expect from living in the dirty crime-ridden city?”

Probably if these same commentors weren’t so dismissive of city living, I would be kinder in my characterization of them. I pretty much have the attitude that this is my city and only I can make fun of it or disparage it, but no one else had better do that! Ha ha.

I will miss you Steve.

Hey Steve, be of good cheer!

I would just like to point out that all of you who do not hang out on the web miss so much opportunity for amusement.

I linked in another thread a restaurant review. Here is another illustration from the same restaurant. If you can believe this, this is a very expensive, toney restaurant that serves citrus foam in a container that is molded on the mouth of the chef. Diners are supposed to lick the foam out of the mouth of the chef.

There’s no way my own imagination could make this up, and without the World Wide Web, I would never know these things exist.

771EB528-42A5-4EBC-9D3D-A9A3CC88AA9C.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I would just like to point out that all of you who do not hang out on the web miss so much opportunity for amusement.
    I guess this falls into the "you do you" category.

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    I guess this falls into the "you do you" category.
    And the cat videos they will be missing! Dear God, the cat videos!

Thread Information