Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Weird weather - here we go again

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Weird weather - here we go again

We are still in a state of shock over the amount of damage from last week's windstorm. Trees and fences down everywhere throughout the city. And now another one coming through tonight with winds supposedly in excess of 80mph. The ones at night are the scariest. DH and I joke that we now have wind PTSD. Just that low howling sound fills me with dread or waiting for the thumps of tree branches and loose objects hitting the house. The good thing is I don't have to worry about the trees that crushed the neighbor's house anymore since they're down. Another good thing is this is the last straw in staying here any longer. I have tried to talk to the 89 yo neighbor and will pay her deductible and anything else we have to but her disdain over the incident and for us is apparent. I don't blame her feeling that way though. The silver maple in the back will probably go down but it at least will hit our house. The rest of the fence will definitely go down. In my six decades on this particular planet, I have never experienced weather like this.

Wind PTSD is likely a real thing.

Decades ago I read a moving novel about a woman in West Texas who was driven mad by the howling sounds of wind.The wind on that plain is brutal.

That does sound very stressful. Sorry for all you are going through. In my neck of the woods, the winds have been unusually strong as well but not as much as yours.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

It's supposed to be eleven next week. ELEVEN!! The weather here is historically mild. I'm bundled up to my ears and hunched next to a heater...

We've had a few cold spells and a touch of snow, but it's been unusually warm here for this time of year. Enough I could call it extreme weather. There hasn't been any significant precipitation since late August so I've watered the trees and perennials a couple of times, even though they are all basically drought tolerant. The mountains are supposed to get a couple of feet of snow this weekend, which will help. It's 65 degrees in my yard right now. and I had lunch on the patio. Normal might be something the 40's.

Normally people now are asking if it will be a white Christmas, but there are rain showers forecast for Christmas eve this year. I've lived in the state my whole life and I don't ever remember rain at Christmas time, though maybe it's happened some time ago. Good luck to Santa's sleigh with that.

I'm sorry Pinkytoe, that sounds very stressful.

Having lived in tornado alley 3xs in my life severe wind storms really suck. I don’t know why your neighbor is mad when it’s hardly your fault.

Pinky, which general area do you live in? I can’t remember.

I’m in the Chicago area and yes, I also don’t remember it being this windy before.

I live in Colorado Springs.

I think it varies by state, but in MA, you are not responsible if your tree falls on my property unless I have notified you previously that I have reason to believe it poses a danger to my property. If your laws are the same, you are under no obligation to do anything for your neighbor legally, so she should not be disdainful towards you, she should be grateful.

Thread Information