Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Forward Thinking for 2022

I am also a fan of the paper to-do list. Nothing compares with the joy of crossing off a completed task!
    I have a day by day section, and then another section at the bottom of the page that contains things that need to be done "soon," say within the month. Then I have a separate page for longer-horizon items and projects.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg44 View Post
    As the rain/snow mix is already starting to fall, I am out installing the vent covers, draining the hoses, attaching the facet covers. I come in the house and passing around
    the birthday card for my father (Christmas baby). I had planned on getting them a digital picture frame with wi-fi so all the kids could send them pictures. That was the thoughtful gift, except shopping on the 24th I learn that the digital frames were an online item only. I am inserting cash instead.

This seems to be the story of my life. Wrapping gifts the morning of, getting the car serviced the day before we leave for vacation or an out of town trip. I really need to plan better and be more pro-active than reactive to most everything in my life in 2022. As they say failing to plan is planning to fail. That is a bit harsh, but a lot of truth there. I like the thought of being forward thinking. With elderly parents, I have a lot of forward thinking that needs to be done in the near future.

Suggestions on making this happen? What has/hasn't worked for you?
    Greg, this post is music to my ears because I am constantly waiting until the last minute to get things done. When people say that by Thanksgiving they have all their Christmas shopping done, it doesn't compute. I consider my Christmas shopping a success if I'm back home by noon on Christmas Eve. I'm also on delay mode with car tune-ups, doctor's appointments, travel plans, birthday gatherings, you name it. I like to think it's because I live for the moment, but in reality it's because, as you say, I fail to plan--but no, I do plan, but I ignore the plan until push comes to shove. Bullet journals teach you to use the symbol of an arrow for tasks advanced to the next day because you didn't get them done, and I have more arrows than Native Americans on a bison hunt for specific tasks that last weeks on my to-do list before I can check them off as completed.

So I have no advice, but just wanted to commiserate. I think the only thing that has helped me is becoming more uncomfortable as I get older with the panic I feel when time is running out. I was fine with it when I was younger, but now it seems like a waste of precious time.

I really, really admire people who have an innate sense of timing when it comes to getting routine things done. I have never had it.

ETA: from a theoretical perspective, Stephen Covey's "Seven Habits of Highly Influential People" has as Habit #3 "Put First Things First" and has a quadrant you're probably familiar with: Urgent/Important; Not urgent/Important; Urgent/Not Important; and Not Urgent/Not important. The idea is to work towards the minimizing the time spent in the second two and maximizing time spent in the first two. But, in my world, reality doesn't conform to this nice theory.

But if you're never read this really amazing book (other principles in the book DID change my life), definitely read it.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I too am a master list maker and too take great satisfaction checking a task complete. Nothing worst than doing getting something of great importance done and then I open up my bullet journal and realize it isn't even on my list! Yup, I put it on my list then mark it off! People think that I am very organized, maybe that is why I am bum humbug around the holidays, because my real disorganized self if revealed to all.

...I have more arrows than Native Americans on a bison hunt for specific tasks that last weeks on my to-do list before I can check them off as completed. Too Funny Catherine! I can totally relate. There are some items i just stop carrying over!

I am pretty good about day to day things that need to be done, it is just looking forward to more major events. I think part of this issue is I don't know what to buy, so I procrastinate. I don't know what to say on cards to send, put off getting things done because I hate to spend the money, etc.

"Nothing worst than doing getting something of great importance done and then I open up my bullet journal and realize it isn't even on my list! Yup, I put it on my list then mark it off!"

I do the same thing!!! LOL.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    At work we use the outlook calendar. I add all my personal stuff to it as well so that I have just one place to keep track. If I were to lose my job unexpectedly I would have to recreate all the stuff that is in it that’s not work related.
    When I worked I use my work outlet calendar to for personal stuff. I figured if anybody at work really wanted to see what I’m doing personally, let ‘em.

Thread Information