Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: January Frugals

Yppej
    The water was just not hot enough so I turned the temperature back up.

I am thinking I may skip my haircut this month. Too cold, and while I am not afraid of covid I am afraid of going somewhere and then being told I have to quarantine for five days because someone there had it.

rr - we didn't have a formal plan for cutting carbs - we just started trying substitutes and sticking with whatever worked for us. We eat a lot of fresh veggies, roasted. Use some riced cauliflower in place of noodles /rice. Sub in almond or coconut flour when we can. Buy pastas that are veggie based instead of starch. Be careful - no wheat does NOT translate directly to no starch!! Stopped buying potatoes. I have some instant potato packs for when DH just HAS to have mashed. We always added cheese, chives, garlic, etc to mashed potatoes anyway, so the difference is not as stark. Plus the quantity is limited, so.... servings are smaller. We like spaghetti squash, it makes a lovely spaghetti casserole. You have to be careful to get it drained well - we generally pre-cook it, and then drain it. then into casserole with a very THICK pasta sauce, plenty of cheese. For us, being mindful of food labels, finding subs we like for pasta and potatoes, and allowing ourselves GOOD bread on limited occasions, has worked for us. We live a long way from places that have really good bread, etc, so it's a lot easier to say no to crappy bread

In other frugals - I did not go to my volunteer gig this weekend so didn't pick up dinner on the way home. Well, we did bring home take out on Friday after my minor surgery, but it was fast food on sale, lol. Ok, that's fugal singular, but it's the best I have right now.

Library here has Hoopla and Flipster for decent selection of free magazines to peruse. Bonus is that there is no need to recycle.

I am still growing sprouts to supplement store-bought salad greens. I grow mainly fenugreek sprouts, because I get good volume and excellent germination. I also have "Bob's Red Mill" Kamut, Daikon Radish, and alfalfa for variety.

I can look out the window at snow in the morning sunlight at a temperature of -19F while I am rinsing sprouts!

Thanks, Early. The riced cauliflower sounds worth a try, and I do like quinoa. I can't do the veggie-based pasta substitutes though; I will blame it on my Italian heritage, lol.

"Fauxtato" salad, substituting cauliflower for potatoes, is pretty good.

This may sound silly to some of you, but I received my first ever lidded casserole dish for Christmas! I used it to make Lentil & Brown rice for dinner last night. I put this in the frugal thread because I won't be using as much foil now!!!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Happy Stuff, I love lidded casserole dishes. Mine are all corning from the 70s ( Wedding and Christmas presents)and they work wonderfully.

I have a few corning lidded casseroles too - 60s and 70s- and they really are great. And I still see them at yard sales for fairly cheap prices, and have to resist the urge to "restock", lol.

I have quite a collection of different sized corning or pyrex covered casseroles. In TX now and none were in the cupboard. The flea markets here are asking astronomical prices. I did luck out and find one at a patio sale though.

Thread Information