Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: January Frugals

Decided to put off the rebreather until next year. Had $7K saved up for it in the scuba fund. I’ve thrown $2600 on my car loan in the last week. It’s down to $8400. Threw about a grand on cc. Going to snowball the car loan. Decided to put off the rebreather by a year as I’ve got other diving goals for this year that are more than plenty.

It looks like we scored the stovetop I've been craving for years on CL, for 10% of its new cost. If/when it happens and we get to install it, I will be PSYCHED!

Hope you get it, NewGig, that would be great!

Yppej
    It's been cold but I checked and still have 3/4 of a tank of oil so I should make it to February and keep on budget for January.

That would be a great score, NewGig!
    Last Saturday, 1/8/22, was our 10-year anniversary of freedom from tobacco. Ten years of not buying cigarettes is probably our best frugal ever. Just before we quit, we were spending $440 per month on cigarettes from NH (much cheaper than MA, so we made a monthly run). I don't know how much we would be paying now, but it would certainly be a lot more. We also celebrated in a frugal and modest fashion, once again encouraged by the recent spike in Covid cases unfortunately. We had been wanting to try a local Vietnamese restaurant, so we did takeout for a very reasonable price.

Yppej
    A great milestone RR.

Wow, Rosa, congratulations! And good for you for doing the math--what an expensive thing it is to smoke. I did not realize. So ten years of that, compounded, wow!!

That is a milestone worth celebrating, RR.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Congrats, rr! To you and your dh. I know how hard it is to stop smoking and 10 years is a fabulous milestone.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Congratulations, Rosa and husband! Mine husband quit in 2000 and every vacation I say to him how much he's saved by not smoking! So his not smoking pays for vacations, meals out and now golf clubs!! He was smoking about 1 pack a day and I think they are $40 a carton now, so quite a savings. When my mother quit, she hired a cleaning person!

Thread Information