Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mass Shootings in 2021

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    I wonder if some behavioral sociologist would relate that to population density or other common demographics?
    I'm just happy to live in one of them. And I live in a town where pizza places have "pay what you can" policies. Not saying there's a correlation between "pay what you can" and no mass shootings. But it sure feels good to live in such a kindly place.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Yppej
    The no mass shooting states all look like ones that would have high levels of gun ownership, and perhaps a culture of respect for gun safety.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    The no mass shooting states all look like ones that would have high levels of gun ownership, and perhaps a culture of respect for gun safety.
    From my experience moving from NJ to VT, I would have to agree. They own guns for sport or for sustenance, and that's about it.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I just am always curious how a single “mass shooting” event of 3 or so people causes national handwringing, when 20-30 deaths in a single weekend in places like Chicago rarely get mentioned. Probably … reasons
    Personal theory, but I think we've established some new norms and the gun violence coming out of places like Chicago just isn't news anymore. We've had maybe five shooting events with >3 victims in the last few months, but I am not sure I could name them all and some of them were school shootings. Sort of the same theory I could use for extreme weather events lately.

Three killed or wounded strikes me as a pretty low threshold for a “mass shooting”. That’s a skirmish between corner boys in a lot of places. Who decides such things?

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Three killed or wounded strikes me as a pretty low threshold for a “mass shooting”. That’s a skirmish between corner boys in a lot of places. Who decides such things?
    I imagine a mass shooting could be "shooting into/at a mass of people" - not necessarily how many are killed or wounded.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    I imagine a mass shooting could be "shooting into/at a mass of people" - not necessarily how many are killed or wounded.
    There actually is a threshold for number of people shot to be considered a mass shooting. I forget what the number I had heard was. I’ll try to remember to look it up later.

The data in my original post from Mass-Shootings.info apparently uses 4 deaths as the threshold for a mass shooting.

bae's comment on 1-2-22 referred to "3 or so" deaths, which was accurate. One problem with any arbitrary minimum is that not all deaths from gunshot wounds are immediate. In some incidents there are injured victims who may be hospitalized for an indefinite period ending with their deaths.

Stanford University MSA Data Project uses a threshold of 3 deaths.

The FBI uses a threshold of 4.

Quote Originally Posted by dado potato View Post
    The data in my original post from Mass-Shootings.info apparently uses 4 deaths as the threshold for a mass shooting.

bae's comment on 1-2-22 referred to "3 or so" deaths, which was accurate. One problem with any arbitrary minimum is that not all deaths from gunshot wounds are immediate. In some incidents there are injured victims who may be hospitalized for an indefinite period ending with their deaths.

Stanford University MSA Data Project uses a threshold of 3 deaths.

The FBI uses a threshold of 4.
    And FEMA defines a "mass casualty incident" as “an event that overwhelms the local healthcare system, where the number of casualties vastly exceeds the local resources and capabilities in a short period of time.”

You'd be surprised how many resources handling a single gunshot wound can take. (Assuming you live in a part of the world where trauma care is available, of course...)

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    And FEMA defines a "mass casualty incident" as “an event that overwhelms the local healthcare system, where the number of casualties vastly exceeds the local resources and capabilities in a short period of time.”

You'd be surprised how many resources handling a single gunshot wound can take. (Assuming you live in a part of the world where trauma care is available, of course...)
    yeah, it’s well known in St. Louis that you don’t wanna follow a gunshot victim or two Into an emergency room with your heart attack because you will be waiting.
    For treatment. I live less than a mile from one of the country’s best Trauma centers treating gunshots. Probably more than two gunshot wounds would overwhelm them, tho, and they would route me with my heart attack to another trauma center, maybe even out in the county where gunshots are less common.

So it’s ironic to live in a place that has experienced trauma center but when experiencing a trauma, really depends on who’s ahead of you in line. Or who arrives at the same time.

Thread Information