Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fellow Parishioner Won't Wear Mask

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    My county has a mask mandate in place and I was reading through what would be required for an actual medical exemption. There's not a lot. They say even people with asthma should wear a mask since an infection could be especially serious for them.
    Nothing like a government bureaucrat telling you they know more about your body than you do. And asthmatics can protect themselves with something that actually works (unlike any old cloth face covering). It's called a vaccine.

Rachel, I agree with IL that your response sounds reasonable, but probably is still hard to leave your place of worship. I hope you find something just as rewarding - or moreso - for your Sundays. And I hope the situation resolves itself sooner rather than later so you can return.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Nothing like a government bureaucrat telling you they know more about your body than you do. And asthmatics can protect themselves with something that actually works (unlike any old cloth face covering). It's called a vaccine.
    The asthmatic wearing a mask doesn’t protect the asthmatic so much as protect those around the asthmatic. Or so we were taught. Drilled, actually. We wear the mask to stop our own airborne particles from being emitted.

I support those who have health problems from a mask not wearing a mask.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    The asthmatic wearing a mask doesn’t protect the asthmatic so much as protect those around the asthmatic. Or so we were taught. Drilled, actually. We wear the mask to stop our own airborne particles from being emitted.

I support those who have health problems from a mask not wearing a mask.
    The issue becomes, what health problems prevent wearing a mask, based on medical authorities rather than opinion or governments. The majority of mask exception applications for my county were denied and they say people were mostly making stuff up for they didn't have to wear them. The current recommendation is KN95 or N95 masks.

"We've known for some time that masks help prevent people from spreading the coronavirus to others. Based on an analysis of existing information, a new study contends that masks may also protect mask wearers from becoming infected themselves."

https://www.health.harvard.edu/diseases-and-conditions/preventing-the-spread-of-the-coronavirus

She needs to be told in no uncertain terms that she is putting her fellow parishioners at risk by her behavior, particularly with the variants so active now. She may not believe this (obviously she doesn't) so I think the church (pastor) must make it a policy that no one is able to enter unmasked. NO one. This should be communicated before Sunday, and if she arrives unmasked, remind her of the policy, offer her a disposable mask, and if she refuses, she must be turned away. She's been enabled so far, so with the new variants, the church (pastor) should come out with a new, stronger message that NO one will be admitted without a mask.

Most churches nowadays have a number of members who are at risk having underlying issues or are elderly. She would have to be very selfish to not honor their safety.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Yppej
    If NO ONE unmasked can enter, what about babies and young children?

At my parents church those with health risks stay home and watch livestream. There is an active program in person for children of all ages.

The parishioner who maintains they can't wear a mask (a very rare situation, according to many medical professionals) should be the one who stays home with their "medical condition."

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    The parishioner who maintains they can't wear a mask (a very rare situation, according to many medical professionals) should be the one who stays home with their "medical condition."
    Should the babies all stay home too since they don't wear masks? Should church be a gerontocracy?

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I understand that some mental health problems can definitely cause issues with mask wearing, perhaps the pastor could direct such people to the appropriate resources rather than let them endanger the other parishioners.

Yppej
    I was thinking this situation is a little analogous to recovering alcoholics who say they are concerned about their health but rather than stay away from the bars where they could get sick they insist that the bars stop serving alcohol and only serve soft drinks to keep them safe. Rather than mitigate their risks, they make all of society adjust to protect them.

No one has to go to church and no one has to go to a bar.

I guess we haven't learned anything from Prohibition and its unintended consequences.

Thread Information