Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OMG, I'm Unemployed...(it just hit me big time).

OMG, I'm Unemployed...(it just hit me big time).

I think it is really starting to hit me, now that the hoopla of the holidays is over. Months ago when people asked me what I was going to do when the gallery closed I kind of blithely said, "I'm not going to worry about it until mid-January, until I get back from my trip to Michigan for my Mom's birthday." Well, I just canceled the trip back to Michigan next week because I don't think it is a safe time to travel due to the Omicron crisis and having a large group gather for a 90 year old birthday, plus I'm dealing with this pinched nerve thing in my neck. So all of the sudden that time is NOW and I need to find a job...

I filed for unemployment a few weeks ago, but I haven't received any money yet because apparently it's taking four to six weeks. But I have to certify each week that I am looking for jobs (minimum of two job searches per week). I have applied to things online and also by going in person and dropping off resumes to places I think I would enjoy working at. My problem is that all I really know how to do is retail-type stuff, so that is what I am looking for. I only want to work part-time, and spend the rest of the time making jewelry and working other odd-jobs around our little town. I really don't want to be a manager of anything because I don't want full-time, I don't want a "career", I just want to go to work part-time, clock in and do my thing. I think my resume looks really good and shows all the experience I have in a variety of different types of retail venues, but I am wondering if that I am going to run into the problem of being over-qualified for the types of jobs I am applying for.

All I know is all of the sudden I'm feeling concerned about it all. The fact I didn't get a paycheck yesterday for the first time in over five years kind of freaked me out. At least I will have some commission checks coming in from sales in December.

Yppej
    There is a labor shortage now so I don't think anyone will care that you are overqualified. Wishing you luck.

I had the exact same reaction back in 2019 when I lost my job due to Covid. The panic of "I need a job!", "I need a paycheck!"

My suggestion is to stop! Breath! Wait for unemployment to start and use the time to work on your jewelry inventory. Do the two jobs a week job search, but realize that there is a shortage in a lot of areas for retail people... cashiers, shelf restockers, salespeople and "pickers" to fill shop-at-home orders. I really don't think you will have trouble finding a retail job.

Wishing you the best of luck!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Yes--take a break! Rethink your spending and relax.

I know there are now a lot of customer service type jobs where you take calls from home for companies. Booking reservations, customer queries etc. I am thinking amazon even has at home workers so many others might too.

It might be worth looking at remote jobs on Indeed or something like that.

Hi SiouzQ. Just wondering how you are doing. I hope well.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi

Hi happystuff, thanks for asking. I actually just got back from SF after waiting in a long line of cars to get a Covid test (see the Health forum).

No word about my unemployment checks - I filed for unemployment back on Dec. 5 and was warned it was taking 4-6 weeks. One issue holding my checks up is that I am "self-employed", meaning my teeny-tiny jewelry business. I do not make enough money at this to make a living, especially now that my hands are compromised. I can only fabricate a few things per week. I'm actually thinking these days that this is looking like this will be the last year I do it before I decide to just hang it all up.

Otherwise, I am applying to two or three places per week (as required by the unemployment office) as a retail associate. I haven't received any interest at all from anywhere - places like Wholefoods, Cost Plus, Bed, Bath & Beyond, plus some thrift stores and consignment shops. So much for places needing retail workers...hmmmpppphhhh.
    I actually have a good line on working at another gallery in town, but can't meet with the owner in person right now because she's been sick with what is most likely covid...

I read about the covid test, SiouzQ. I hope it comes back negative. As for the job, I know in my area, the high-end stores are "prized" employers (hard to get a job at Trader Joes even pre-covid!), but the regular grocery stores, Target, Walmart, etc. are desperate for employees. The other gallery sounds like a good fit for you! Good luck!

Good news! I got a position at another gallery in town (a very cool gallery with beautiful high-end modern art, ceramics and jewelry)! The owners are super-cool and I am going to be part-time (which is what I wanted). I'm going to start out just a two days a week during the slow season, with opportunities to be a fill-in, and also will start photographing the art to update their website and help with the social media aspect!

I'm also hooking up with a friend who runs a successful estate sale service down in Albuquerque and will help with the organizing and pricing. His busy season will be starting next month. As an avid thrifter/estate sale peruser/former vintage clothing store employee this is the perfect gig for me!

And yesterday I made $150 by being part of a focus group for a jury trial. Hopefully there will be more of those opportunities. As my husband said yesterday, I'm good at hustling. It's from all those years of being a single parent and having to learn how to make it all work on very little money!

So my current goal is to be part of the gig economy. My husband has the good, steady job with benefits and health insurance, so I get to hustle for my money, plus I have my savings to fall back on. Plus, I am selling my jewelry in two galleries (though that gig is really dependent upon the health of my hands at this point).

Yet I still haven't gotten any money that's due to me from unemployment; it still hasn't been approved after six weeks now...yesterday I got an email from Wholefoods about one of the positions I had applied for way back in December, wondering if I was still interested! Nope!

Thread Information