Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Requiem for the Blackberry

Requiem for the Blackberry

I see the classic, pre-android Blackberry is being de-supported today. I can remember when it replaced the bulging Filofax as the standard status totem of a certain class of “professional”. People used to refer to them as “crackberries” because they couldn’t function without them.

I guess they will now join the Sony Walkman and micro cassette recorder as technology/fashion accessories of the past.

The tech accessories of the past are accumulating after their time in the spotlight. I always admire the leadership shown when they first came out and captured the market. Remember the Polaroid cameras?
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I kind of wish they still had those. I had a work issued one I had to carry around for awhile. The phone was fine, the 3am calls not so much. That job was one of the more pointless and boring ones and they could call you at all hours when you were on-call.
    Trees don't grow on money

As a former Crackberry addict, it makes me a little sad to see the Blackberry rendered obsolete. But that's the way it goes. Steve Jobs won that battle handily with the iPhone. I remember when I had to decide to upgrade my Blackberry or buy an iPhone. I think a lot of people went the same way I did.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I guess they will now join the Sony Walkman and micro cassette recorder as technology/fashion accessories of the past.
    I still mourn the passing of my Palm Pilot. That thing was awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by herbgeek View Post
    I still mourn the passing of my Palm Pilot. That thing was awesome.
    I can remember a friend showing off his Apple Newton. It’s good to recall that Steve Jobs didn’t always win. He did have a talent for making technology artifacts a sort of fashion statement.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    I can remember a friend showing off his Apple Newton. It’s good to recall that Steve Jobs didn’t always win. He did have a talent for making technology artifacts a sort of fashion statement.
    I still remember the hilarious doonesbury cartoons from that time. Along the lines of ‘I am writing a test sentence’ which the handwriting conversion software in it read things like ‘Ian is riding a taste sensation.’

I always wonder with the demise of things like this what museums collecting these things will do without support software.what does the Smithsonian do with a Blackberry? They can keep it charged, but how are they demonstrating its use in life if not connected to anything?
    Last edited by iris lilies; 1-5-22 at 1:01pm.

IL, your last sentence is a testament to updating technology, lol.

I miss the Blackberry, it was the first truly 'smart' phone I'd ever used and I loved it. I got my first work issued Blackberry in 2002 or 2003, it had service on the Nextel network and for the first time I had a truly portable replacement for a myraid of devices such as 2 way radio, telephone and laptop computer. I was disappointed when Nextel was eventually folded into the Sprint network and we lost the 2 way radio function and then we abandoned RIM devices completely soon after and went to Apple products for work use. I wish Blackberry was still a viable option and wouldn't hesitate to go back to one.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Thread Information