Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DIY grocery staples

DIY grocery staples

Yogurt and peanut butter are staples at our house. Prices at the grocery have gone up a lot so I am thinking about making our own. Anyone here make either of these and can offer tips? Any other foods you make from scratch rather than buying processed?

Not a food, but I make toothpaste from one part baking soda to one part coconut oil.

Salad dressing one part lemon juice to one part oil.

I made all my own bread the last two winters. I never though much about whether it was cheaper, but it tasted good and warmed the kitchen. I'm taking a break from it this year. I do my own granola several times a year. It's definitely cheaper than good quality packaged granola and would go well with homemade yogurt.

Kimchi, sauerkraut, pickles, fermented fish sauce, yeast, miso, chili oil, chili sauce, bread, tortillas, wine, beer, "hand sanitizer", mead, specialty flours, korean-style rice cakes, pasta noodles, cheese, yogurt, sausages, smoked meats, sparkling water, ...

That's impressive, Bae. I just paid $5 for a tub of miso!!! I cook beans from scratch so have a freezer full of various kinds. I would love to make sourdough breads. I had an Indian friend at work that made yogurt in a crockpot but never got her "recipe."

For years I made yogurt from fluid milk, some added milk powder mixed in and heated to 170F and then cooled to 120-130F. I poured this into a large insulated container, added 1/4 cup of active bacteria commercial yogurt and placed it in an insulated lunch bag for 8 hours. Serving was 3/4 cup. A container of the commercial yogurt as starter would last 6 weeks so I had to watch the BB date when I bought it. My breakfast is cooked oatmeal with fruit and the yogurt or just a 3/4 cup of fluid milk.

I find that some products are just easier to buy for one person. I do better with canning foods like tomatoes, applesauce or freezing when they are cheap, discounted or at harvest time. I make a favourite soup with 2C home-canned tomatoes and 1/2 homemade salsa adding to taste bouillon in 1C water. I can add other veggies, some chopped meat, homemade chickpeas or sprinkle cheese on top to satisfy starch, protein and vegetable ratio portions.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I go through a Kimchi phase about once or twice year. I worked with a nice Korean woman who would occasionally bring me kimchi that her auntie would make. There are definitely some frontiers to explore beyond the usual grocery store kimchi. I've looked into making my own and the equipment doesn't look too complicated, although it's another set of items to add to things.

You can also make butter and cream cheese.

You can also make butter and cream cheese.

I make a batch of sourdough bread dough every week. I'll make bread, rolls, tortillas or pizza crust from it. I also used to make yogurt. There are a lot of recipes online. My favorite uses a thermos to incubate. Have only made my own kimchi twice, but would love to get back into it again. Any recipes would be appreciated!

Very impressive list, bae!!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Thread Information