Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 55+ senior retirement communities

55+ senior retirement communities

Anyone here live in a 55+ community? I started looking into them last year, thinking of my elderly parents. They're still not interested, but I wanted to gather info just in case (see my recent thread on anticipating parents' needs).

While doing this, I realized, hey, maybe this is what I would want for myself someday, an active "independent living" community where I could move into assisted living later if needed.

I'm not 55 yet, but when I get there, why not move in? I have yet to visit any, but on paper they look pretty sweet. To anyone who's lived in one or looked at them, would 55 feel too young to be there? I know the average age is closer to 75 or 80. I've always had older friends anyway, even as a kid, so maybe this would be a logical progression?

This idea keeps coming and going. I do some research, then forget about it. Then the notion comes back. I'll probably visit a few eventually. Maybe that would make things clearer? The promo photos and videos of folks with canes and walkers are not so appealing, but having everything "taken care of" does. Basically you pay an entrance fee and/or a monthly fee and are allowed the run of the place. A staff takes care of the homes, grounds, facilities, activities, and even the food in some cases.

Seems like simple living to me. Why not join at 55?

Yppej
    Why not for me would be the cost. I try to never pay anyone to do things for me that I can do for myself. I am over 55 and can do yardwork and cooking myself.

My condo is in a de facto over 55 building of 40 units. It’s a high-rise in the city. While it is true that we have one young family in the building because the mom is in a wheelchair and they need that kind of access, everyone else is at least 50 years old.

It’s very charming and it is a nice community. People are social within the building.My condo cost $65,000 (super small, tho) and it has a heated garage space which is not the norm around here. Monthly condo fees are about $310. There’s a lovely private backyard and a small community garden.

No one cooks for you though.

Everyone should consider these naturally evolving places for senior citizens that are not part of these ridiculously expensive “planned communities. “
    Last edited by iris lilies; 1-7-22 at 5:43pm.

In answer to your question at age 55 are you too young? You would certainly be one of the younger people in those stated planned communities.

I actually considered another high-rise building around the corner from mine it is a stated senior citizen assisted living center. See I’m attracted to these old 1920s buildings. I considered it when I was in my 50s, not seriously of course, but more seriously as we purchased a house in the country and I needed a city place to land.

The median age in my county is 56.6 years old. At ~58, I am perhaps the youngest adult in my local neighborhood. I'm the median age for our fire department personnel.

~50% of the community is retired or semi-retired, deriving their income from retirement funds/pensions/savings.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Why not for me would be the cost.
    Yes, they can be very pricey. But some you can enter for about $100K and then pay a few hundred a month for services. I think this would be doable for me. Or you can enter for zero and pay $3K to $4K per month. I'd rather pay a reasonable chunk upfront and have lower monthly fees.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    My condo is in a de facto over 55 building of 40 units. It’s a high-rise in the city. While it is true that we have one young family in the building because the mom is in a wheelchair and they need that kind of access, everyone else is at least 50 years old.
    My former apartment was in a building that used to be like this. Over the years, the ages trended downward, and now it's quite a mix, for better and worse.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    The median age in my county is 56.6 years old. At ~58, I am perhaps the youngest adult in my local neighborhood. I'm the median age for our fire department personnel.
    Good comparison. Do you feel out of place as the youngest? Are there others near your age?

My main desire is to find relative peace and quiet. A place without kids and loud dogs would help. There are probably cheaper ways to find peace and quiet in a low-maintenance lifestyle. The 55+ community is just one idea I've had. I'm currently renting in concrete condo complex that I had hoped would be quieter. Already thinking of moving again this year when the lease ends. Unfortunately not so many attractive options in this area.

My folks bought a patio home in their early 70's. About 1400 sq ft with a little grassed in yard and small back patio for flowers and a picnic table. Their HMO covered most of the exterior maintenance. In their declining times they were able to get in-home assistance for most of their needs other than long term nursing help. Meals on wheels, grocery delivery, and some senior services and relatives for driving, basic housekeeping, bathing, etc. It would be the route I would want to go that still offers some sense of independence. A lot of people probably reach a point where they need more care, but it worked for them almost up to the end. They both lost quite a bit of mobility but remained fairy sharp.

Assisted living would probably be the next step for greater needs, but there are a lot options before reaching that that are not nearly as pricey and still offer some independence. Having some sort of built in social community and organized activities might be a plus for some.

My take based on limited experience.

I'd investigate all the options available for retirement living--they don't all require a $100K buy-in. I would certainly consider one.

Jimmy Buffet apparently has several retirement communities:

https://www.latitudemargaritaville.com/

I've considered 55+ mobile home communities lately. They have a privacy to property tax quotient that appeals to me.

Thread Information