Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 55+ senior retirement communities

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I like waking up; I could do without a purpose--especially if "purpose" means chores. So I aspire to the lowest-maintenance life possible.
    I'll admit that I'll be happy when my "purpose" isn't getting through 10 hours of interviews, but usually I get something out of those days. At least I did today, speaking with patients.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I figure I'm here to learn. So far, I've learned I don't like chores that have to be done over and over (among other things). I guarantee you I would have made the worst housewife ever.

I figure I'm here to learn. So far, I've learned I don't like chores that have to be done over and over (among other things). I guarantee you I would have made the worst housewife ever.
    I remember my mother-in-law telling me when my kids were really small and I was an SAHM that she thought I should get a job and hire someone to clean the house. I took the first part of her advice and would have done well with the second.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I remember my mothe-in-law telling me when my kids were really small and I was an SAHM that she thought I should get a job and hire someone to clean the house. I took the first part of her advice and would have done well with the second.
    I think that's very wise advice.

I don’t like housework, although sometimes I don’t mind dusting off and tidying, and maybe polishing some of the nicer things around here. But I seldom do it. The thing about gardening is that it’s repetitious work that you have to do it over and over, except things in the garden change. They change over a week, they change over a season, they change from year to year so it’s never exactly the same.

I think I have more problem with wage labor than anything else, of course that all depends, I hardly want to live somewhere women have no choice regardless.
    Trees don't grow on money

Reality check. Nothing is for sure so plan for options. I bought my little house as an investment and to increase my odds of a secure home for the duration. With the house prices going insane, it was a really good decision. Not everyone has that option though.

Seniors hit with a 43% rent increase.
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...cton-1.6306468
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Rents here for a small 2 bedroom apartment are between 1800-2000k/month. I wouldn’t be able to afford to live here if I didn’t own. Some people rent a room in a house but that’s 800-900/month and I would never do that.

Reality check
    Yep. The houses we have been looking at back near family have gone up $100K in one yr. I don't think we can afford them anymore so not sure how to proceed other than to stay here

A friend pays $400 a month, which isn't bad. if I had a choice, I'd buy in a park where everyone owned their own lot. "Blow and go" sounds like heaven to me...
    I am now in TX in a senior mobile home park. The people here own the land the home is on and pay around $500/year for fees and have reasonable property taxes. The senior park down the road charges $500/month to lease the land. Needless to say, people are clamoring to get in this park. We have no desire to own more property and the rent we pay is fairly low. DH says if something happens to me he would consider living here year round because of the social aspect and minimal maintenance.

Thread Information