Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are You Afraid To Die?

Yppej

Are You Afraid To Die?

One of the anti vaxxers at work was saying he had been talking with his buddies and they all said if death comes for them they will not fight it but accept it. I also am not looking to die, but if it happens it happens. I don't want to lose quality of life cowering in fear of death.

I have seen people who are the opposite. In the face of terminal diagnoses they try one thing after another - experimental treatments, repeated blood transfusions, etc.

Where do you fall?

When I was younger I was different, wanting to live so I could raise my son. But now I have done all I can with him, and done my duty to keep the human species continuing on.

I am on an awesome Buddhist, Zen and Tao FB page and there was a comment I thought was particularly insightful.

Here's the comment:
    With very few exceptions, I have come to see death as an end of suffering. Training and study in the way of the samurai added another perspective on the matter... much of the way is to contemplate, and think of oneself as already being dead.
    "If by setting one's heart right every morning and evening, one is able to live as though his body were already dead, he gains freedom in the Way. His whole life will be without blame, and he will succeed in his calling." ��
    Yamamoto Tsunetomo, Hagakure

I felt exactly as you did, wanting to stay alive to care for my family. I now would like to live so that I can enjoy my grandchildren. I probably am afraid as much as the next person, but the older I get the more I feel that when I'm ready, I'll be ready. If it comes before I'm ready, I might have a more negative reaction.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I don’t think I’m afraid of death or being dead, but I’m afraid of the transition to that state. It is often painful, scary, and generally quite unpleasant.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I don’t think I’m afraid of death or being dead, but I’m afraid of the transition to that state. It is often painful, scary, and generally quite unpleasant.
    “I’m not afraid to die. I just don’t want to be there when it happens.”

- Woody Allen

Well said.

Well to be afraid of what? Some believe it is the end, some - a lovely place with cream cheese figures, some - to be with loved ones, some, like me having experienced a near death, it is simply moving into another chapter or room of life. Like IL, I would prefer a peaceful transition with no problems.
    I prepare for any possibilities ahead as much as possible and then forget about it.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I agree with this. My mother died 12 days ago after a long battle with Alzheimer's. For myself and my brothers, it was a blessing to have her journey finally end. As one of my aunts said, 'Dying is easy, it's sometimes living that's hard.'
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I agree with this. My mother died 12 days ago after a long battle with Alzheimer's. For myself and my brothers, it was a blessing to have her journey finally end. As one of my aunts said, 'Dying is easy, it's sometimes living that's hard.'
    My condolences to you and your family on the death of your mother. Even if it is seen as a blessing, it is still a loss. Hugs to you all.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

My only first-hand experience with death and dying was observing my little brother with every horrible condition AIDS could give him until his end and my mother in a two year plus vegetative state after a massive stroke. Both had very grueling, lingering experiences and I won't ever forget the look of agony on their faces as they passed...fighting to live. And then I think about the absolute peace that "no longer being here" brought to them. I am not afraid but way too curious to see what happens next while I'm still alive.

Alan, sorry to hear about your mom, but a relief for her no doubt.

Thread Information